Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear AllTreat me gently, this is my first time!

Have had a Q3 since September, and just recently we have noticed that the fan on the Climate Control increases by itself as we drive along. If I set it to say notch 3 on the stepped display using the + or - it will be ok for a minute or so and then it increases to 4 or 5 by itself....? The stepped display can be seen to move up. Its not on Auto or AC mode.
Anyone else ever had this?
FF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, and welcome.

I think I understand your issue . To get the full effect of climate control, you need to have the "auto" button ON, and also the "A/C " button on. You then control the temp inside the car, by turning the big rotary dial to your desired temp.

After doing this the car will automatically adjust temp, and you will see the bars increase or decrease

Also if you press and hold the the auto button for a few seconds, you are able to control the duel temp, from the drivers side rotary dial

Hope this helps

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, mine does this when not in auto as I don't want the a/c compressor running all the time, have to say it really annoys me but haven't looked into how to fix it...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've not noticed this, but I run my system in Auto mode permanently. Only change is I switch off the AC in the winter months, but keep the Auto system on to control the internal temperature. The air coming in from outside is cold enough to coll the interior (if needed).

I've found that my windows fog up a lot less and clear quicker when the AC has not or is not running.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've always left my cars in Auto mode all year round with the ac on and never had cause to change it. Leaving the ac off all winter can lead to the buildup of mould etc in the system which may mean smelly ac next summer or future issues with it. If you must keep it off in the winter i would run it every so often to keep it in good shape. At least that's what bmw told me in my last few cars.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am also one of those that leaves it more or less in AC and Auto mode all year. In winter it keeps the windows clearer inside and dries the car out. However in summer I may turn it off for a few minutes and open the windows to allow the excess heat to dissipate. During these few minutes I turn it off. Summer is a distant memory now though!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fudgefactor said:
Dear AllTreat me gently, this is my first time!

Have had a Q3 since September, and just recently we have noticed that the fan on the Climate Control increases by itself as we drive along. If I set it to say notch 3 on the stepped display using the + or - it will be ok for a minute or so and then it increases to 4 or 5 by itself....? The stepped display can be seen to move up. Its not on Auto or AC mode.
Anyone else ever had this?
FF
Yes, I have also noticed this. Really strange, and slightly annoying. However, I haven't noticed it step up more than about one notch. (Maybe I'm not patient enough for it to step up even more before I adjust it.)
My guess is that it's a software bug.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The other possibility here is temperature. If you have the internal temperature set at say 21C, but the outside ambient temperature has been low and the car is not warm yet, the fan is basically disengaged. As you drive along and the engine warms up, the fan speed increases as the airflow from the engine/heaters warms up. Thus you don't get a blast of cold air in the car when you first start it.

So, when you start out and set the fan to 3 and the car engine temperature increases, the fan speed increases to warm up the interior of the car faster to your preset temperature.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sure, when it's set to *auto*, yes. I have not heard of, or sat in, another car that changes the fan speed when the automatic speed has been overridden with a manual setting...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">Well, thanks guys for your thoughts and suggestions. I have a few things to try and consider here. Your time is appreciated. Thanks for being here!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts