Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Hope you don’t mind the question. I have an RSQ3 and planning to change the paddles. What was the level of difficulty removing the airbag on this. I assume the wire clip on this retains the bag but it looks different to other models. thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Welcome to the club DaveDee....I honestly don't know, guess a member who does will be along before long.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
IIRC this is something Spike did on his Q3 a while ago. Hopefully he'll be along soon and can advise on it.

EDIT: Just found the thread referring to it. DaveDee, have a look here...

Reactions: DaveDee

·
Registered
1,984 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Thanks Spike, duly moved.

Reactions: spike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Gromit
Per the link, I just changed the standard SE wheel for a flat bottom one from an S3.
The latest steering wheels seem slightly different but as a best guess, the process for changing the paddles may be similar to the TT - How to Repair, Remove, or Change Stuck F1 Paddle Shifts Audi TT Mk2 S Tronik - YouTube

Cheers Spike
Thanks for the update. The reason for the question is that the attachment of the bag appears to be different to all the other on line how-to videos including the RS3, it appears there is a simple spring retainer on the wheel itself rather than spring coils in the airbag frame.(as per your for sale photos) Just didn’t want to guess the removal with a critical component.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Had a closer look at the RS3 steering wheel pics and see what you mean about the spring clip fixing being on the wheel rather than the airbag.
May only be a tiny piece in the 'jigsaw' but I spotted a new model airbag on ebay and there is a decent pic of the underside showing the posts which are presumably located by the said spring clips
AUDI Q3 F3B 2018 - on Driver airbag Steering Wheel Air Bag Original | eBay

For removal, best guess would be to locate the upper elongated slots on the underside of the steering wheel and use a screwdriver to push the wire clip towards the centre of the wheel. With luck, that should release the airbag posts.

Cheers Spike

Reactions: DaveDee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a closer look at the RS3 steering wheel pics and see what you mean about the spring clip fixing being on the wheel rather than the airbag.
May only be a tiny piece in the 'jigsaw' but I spotted a new model airbag on ebay and there is a decent pic of the underside showing the posts which are presumably located by the said spring clips
AUDI Q3 F3B 2018 - on Driver airbag Steering Wheel Air Bag Original | eBay

For removal, best guess would be to locate the upper elongated slots on the underside of the steering wheel and use a screwdriver to push the wire clip towards the centre of the wheel. With luck, that should release the airbag posts.

Cheers Spike
Well spotted, and yes that makes sense. I’ll follow this through as I’ve ordered some Urus style paddles for the RSQ3 and when I get a result will come back with the answer as it will no doubt be of benefit to some
Cheers
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts