Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got my car to a car wash for the first time some 3 weeks ago,oneof those automatic ones with bristles.After I washed it and got home, I went to open the rear door, and noticed the whole rear bumper facing upwards was scratched, not deep scratches but the whole width of the car.

Needless to say I went ballistic. Since it was during teh holidays, there was no one at the garage, so I decided to try my hand at polish and wax, which worked. You can still see teh tiny scratched if you look for them, but its almost as good as new.

However, I am really scared to take the car to any other car wash now.

Had anyone had any good or bad experiences with car washes? Could it be the slanting angle of the rear bumper? Or was it a simple strike of bad luck?

dus

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
O that's sh.t!

Could also be the dirt & sand on the lower part of the rear bumper that the bristles took 'up' with them when 'cleaning'.

Yours is dark tinted?

I have at the moment an Akoyasilver A4 and had it in the winter-periods many times in the carwash, no problems with scratches and similar.

Before this one I had a Volcanic black A4 and was stooped enough to use a space-age-polish-something. After using it on the LF-fender it hat a white glaze over it, I exploded too.
The body repair-part of the dealer advised me to use thinner (do you know that stuff in GB?) to clean it. I was doubting and said, yeah and then the paint comes off, and you have created a nice repair job. He prommissed to do it for free if the (water based) paint would come off. And, surprise, It didn't!
So, the water-based paints of Audi are imho very good!

Please note: I do not advice anybody to use this Thinner on his car! It was just to let you all know how good Audi's paint is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks audidriver4ever.

Mine is Pearl black metallic. The polish and wax did work. Its just that I am scared taking it to another car wask now.

And in lovely Switzerland, washing your car in the road is not allowed, so dont have much options.
dus

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wouldn't ever dream of taking a car into an automatic car wash. Get it hand washed by someone reputable. If there isn't anyone then it sounds like a business opportunity for you ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
HiAs others have said never use an automatic drive through car wash, always get it hand washed.If you can find a good detailer they will be able to fix the scratches

Edited by: Del

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unfortunately black shows every little scratch I have just changed from a black scirocco never getting black again, even careful cleaning still produces fine scratches. Suggest you use Autoglym Deep Shine to help mask the fine scratches, there are other similar products available, but they do return, try looking on various car detailing sites for advice.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would never take my Q3 to any carwash, automated or manual. I don't want my car washed with the same sponge which has cleaned many a car!

I actually enjoy washing the car, buy the proper drying towels, waxes, foam, wheel and contamination cleaners and it's much easier

Washed it today in fact, only takes a few hours and i know in a few days it'll be just as dirty but then i can clean it again
Sad i know...
Black is one of those colours you get then swear you'll never have again until you forget a few years down the line and buy another. Even in this weather i'm enjoying having the white car.

·
Super Moderator
1,716 Posts
And, in the summer-time darker tinted cars get al lot hotter from the sunshine. Okay, if you have aircon it cools it down, but it takes longer as with a brighter tinted car.
This is also the reason why I changed from black to silver

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Up here in Scotland, hot summer temps are not something i have in mind when choosing a car

I was more interested in quattro for all the rain

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Well it's got me home through snow and all the floods beforehand so i can't complain

Would be interested to know how harsh the quattro is on the tyres, have any Q3 owners on here replaced theirs yet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just had 9K Oil Change service ....dealer checked tyres and reported 5mm tread depth so it looks like mine are around 50% worn to date.Cheers

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Cheers Mike, thats none too bad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts