Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into trackers for my cars, any recommendations, and any thoughts on the new Apple trackers as a cheap alternative?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've got this in my car... Plugs Into your OBD port.

You just need a 2g sim card ( I use 1p mobile) and you can track your car via Tracksolid app.
You can also set Geo fences around your home, place of work etc which alerts you when the car leaves the locations etc.
Works really well for a cheap solution, obviously pesky thieves can unplug relitavely easy if they hunt for it but just gives a bit more piece of mind to me. (y)

·
Super Moderator
2,898 Posts
You have an F3 Q3 and another on order I recall Tigre64?

The MyAudi App shows you the cars current location/last known when the Q3's internal SIM communicated with the German mothership - probably sufficient?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest I’d not really thought about using the built in capability 🤦‍♂️ It’s one of those functions you kinda forget about.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You have an F3 Q3 and another on order I recall Tigre64?

The MyAudi App shows you the cars current location/last known when the Q3's internal SIM communicated with the German mothership - probably sufficient?
Depends what purpose you want the tracker for. The MyAudi app won’t satisfy insurance. I’m not sure how reliable it is either. The same type of inbuilt tracking equipment in my last car, AMG A35, could reportedly be disabled in seconds by thieves, so I’d be cautious if this is the reason why you want the tracking capability in the RSQ3.

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
381 Posts
Does the myaudi app display the actual car location on the F3 because on the 8U its just the phone location when the app is open?
I've never received an insurance discount for having a tracker fitted, the only time it made a difference was on my 8P S3 as it was a stipulation to have one.
I guess it's down to personal choice as to how much value your car and would you want it back.

·
Super Moderator
2,898 Posts
Yeah, on the F3 because the data SIM is integral to the car the positional data is continually refreshed.

In the screenshot below you can see the car Icon in the garage, parked on the left side so it's spot-on too, the Home location icon is also shown. The red dot is the phone - I'm sat in the study, ground floor, front of the house. Its uncannily accurate.

View attachment 2547

Reactions: -Ju-

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
Oy John, yer lawn wants cutting! :p

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Super Moderator
2,898 Posts
Just done it guv. :) :D

Was looking at the picture closely, it's post 2014 as the garden was landscaped, can see the shadows of the arbour on the back of the grage but pre 2018 as the conservatory now as a Guardian lightweight solid roof and most likely a Friday morning as there is a silver or light coloured car on the drive...my brother-in-laws Hyundai SUV,,,I'll have provided transport to Edgehill shooting ground.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Do you really want to put your location on here John?
With the road name and the google earth shot it probably wouldn’t take long to find you if I was less then honest.

·
Super Moderator
2,898 Posts
Fair point David! Suitably edited...thanks.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
381 Posts
You might want to edit the attachment too!
I was trying to work out which part was yours until I realised it was all of it (y)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
We get paranoid on the KTM Forum John. Off road bikes are the worst for being stolen.
Some newbies sign up using their postcode or mobile number as part of their username.

·
Super Moderator
2,898 Posts
Further edited, thanks Ju, David.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The myAudi app periodically polls the car. What we need is an app move/no move toggle which if set, warns you if the car is moving and it shouldn't be. This is not rocket science!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I’m thinking of having the Audi GPS tracking system. (It’s by Vodafone and it’s 599 with a one year subscription and then it’s 149£ per year) because I said to the insurance I had one when actually the MyAudi app one is not accepted by insurances… 😅

and I also put an apple AirTag in the car but the thieves will find it easily anyway. So it’s not enough for the insurances and my peace of mind.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'd go with a metatrak deadlock....same price as the Vodafone to install and same price for the subscription. You also have the ability to remote immobilise the car even if the keys/tags are stolen

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd go with a metatrak deadlock....same price as the Vodafone to install and same price for the subscription. You also have the ability to remote immobilise the car even if the keys/tags are stolen
Is this the one you have ?
Seems interesting.
So it’s not installed by Audi ? It’s their own engineers ?

·
Registered
RSQ3 2020 Mythos Black Standard Config
13 Posts
I’ve had a Metatrak S5 Deadlock fitted to mine. Prompted by my insure LV refusing to insure the RS Q3 even though they had been covering my JG F Pace 3.0. Reason being the theft problem surrounding keyless cars!
Very pleased with the Metatrak, even if the godless clone your keys they cannot start the car without the tracker fob. not cheap though☹

·
Registered
381 Posts
Have you checked the journey scores yet?
Once the unit settles in there is absolutely no chance of getting a decent score even driving like miss daisy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts