Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to cancel my orderIts a new Q3 but was pre ordered and specified by the dealer, which he is hoping to take delivery in September . He offered me a deal two weeks ago and I signed the order sheet. No money has changed hands. The paperwork I have is the order with the cost of the car. I don't have any ( or have signed) any paperwork with the finance breakdown.

How do I stand with this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am sure like most contract there should be a cooling off period in case you change your mind.
Also I doubt the car will be in production yet so I don't think they should have a problem with it.
Regards
darren

·
Registered
518 Posts
JohnnyI think you are on shaky ground. Cooling off periods don't usually apply to normal orders (they apply to some finance deals like life insurance, or tomail order/internet purchases). They also apply to certain types of car finance, but the cooling off only applies to the method of finance (ie I've changed my mind about HP, and would rather do lease purchase or cash purchase) but the cooling off doesn't normally give you the right to cancel the deal. Whether money has changed hands or not is beside the point. By signing the order form, you have committed to a legally binding agreement which is enforceable, ie the dealer could force you to take the car.In reality, I would tell the dealer that your circumstances have changed, and you are no longer able to go ahead. Bearing in mind their legal rights, just offer the dealer an apology, and say you will come back as and when. It is highly unlikely the dealer will pursue you on this, but bear in mind that, in theory, they could!!

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Hi Johnny,

Rontheman is correct in what he says, but I don't think you'll have a problem. As the car was pre-ordered and spec'd by the dealer they were going to have it anyway regardless of your order, so reselling it should not give them any problem. As no money has changed hands they would have some difficulty in pursuing you for it in practice and they would know they were on a loser from the start, apart from the danger of losing a potential customer in the future - and a slice of their reputation - by being inflexible.

·
Registered
563 Posts
HiHave a read of the back of the order form, mine said that ifI cancel and they lose money on the car when they sell itI could be libel for the difference.Or words to that effect.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I cancelled an order for a new X1 when i noticed there was such a thing as a q3

Dealer wasn't too happy but i was honest and up front with them, i had paid a 1K deposit and they said they would hold onto 100 quid. In the end they gave me it all back without any problem as they didn't want to lose any future custom. Just be honest with them, they'll sell that q3 no bother and they know it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The point that Del makes is valid, i.e that you would be liable for any loss suffered by the dealer in selling the car elsewhere. So, if you ordered a car tailored to your specification, which might be difficult to sell elsewhere, you would be liable for any shortfall in sales value. Although technically you are in breach of contract if you cancel, the dealership would be put to proof to establish what it actually lost in terms of income.In your case, you bought a stock car, pre ordered and specified by the dealer, which you are proposing to cancel after 2 weeks. As others here have suggested, the dealer is unlikely to suffer any loss if you cancel immediately, so make your apologies and walk away.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Dealer told me that the Q3 in such high demand if I cancelled my order it wouldn't matter to them as they can sell it within a day no problem.You signed no paper work paid no deposit so no contract in force. It my be the first canceeled order you have done but to them its happens everyday

1 - 8 of 8 Posts