Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
I have just sold my Q3 2012 S-line and replaced it with a 2021 Q3 S-line.
My 2012 Q3 came with tyre gunge instead of a spare wheel so I bought a spacesaver size 145/80-R18.
My new Q3 also has the tyre gunge instead of a spare wheel and the information on the door pillar lists the correct spare wheel size as 145/85-R18.
I am not a great fan of the tyre gunge so wondered if I could use my existing spacesaver on my new Q3?
If that was possible it could save me a packet!! There seems to be enough space under the boot floor to take a spacesaver.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The 80 and 85 are the tyre profile and I can't see that it would do any harm. However, what is important is the wheel offset and I don't know if the Q3/2012 and Q3/2021 are the same. There will be room on your new Q3 for the space saver but you will need a boot insert and a wheel clamp. Also, you need to check if you have a jack and tool kit.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The difference in wheel diameter between 145/85 and 145/80 tyre profiles is approx 14mm. If the new car is a quattro then it may cause problems with the Haldex system - and possibly the ABS whether it's 2 or 4wd
Worth checking but as Spacesaver rims are only 4" wide I'd expect the effects of any difference in offset to be minimal

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks to Spike and mwcltd for your information. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer one way or the other ( which is about where I got to by asking others before I posted on the Forum) so I think to be on the safe side I'll sell my current space saver and buy another of the correct size. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it for sale on the Forum, perhaps someone could let me know?? Thanks again both, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
What size tyres are on the new Q3.
We can do a quick comparison on the wheel diameters which would confirm (or not) the spacesaver suitability

Cheers Spike

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Many thanks to Spike and mwcltd for your information. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer one way or the other ( which is about where I got to by asking others before I posted on the Forum) so I think to be on the safe side I'll sell my current space saver and buy another of the correct size. I don't know if I'm allowed to post it for sale on the Forum, perhaps someone could let me know?? Thanks again both, much appreciated.
I don't see why not, here's a link to the right section. Just make sure you clearly state which variant it fits and it's condition/history.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What size tyres are on the new Q3.
We can do a quick comparison on the wheel diameters which would confirm (or not) the spacesaver suitability

Cheers Spike
Hi Spike
The tyres on the new Q3 are 235/50-R19, 99V

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The F3 space-saver wheel is 18" * 4" with a 145/85R18 tyre at 28psi. The 8U and F3 space-savers have the same offset. I have checked and providing you obey the rules for using a space saver then the 8U one can be used on the F3 with no problems.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Hi Spike
The tyres on the new Q3 are 235/50-R19, 99V
Wheel dia of those tyres is 717mm
The 145/85/18 spacesaver is 703mm dia (14mm difference)
The 145/80/18 spacesaver is 689mm dia (28mm difference)

Not sure if you have a quattro but I read on our forum the unwritten rule was a max 3mm difference in tread depth on Audi 4wd models.
The spacesaver is an emergency tyre which is speed limited and with short recommended range.Hopefully it will never be used so there must be greater leeway on the acceptable size differences.
Personally I'd try your old spacesaver on the back wheel for a couple of miles and see if it throws up any warning lamps..
At least then, there will be no surprises if you keep it and need to use it in anger on a dark winters night

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers Spike & mwcltd and once again thanks for your information. I used this Forum a lot when I bought my first Q3 in 2012 and I well remember Gromit and others being really helpful to so many people who were trying to find information about their new toy. Its good to know that the Forum is still going strong and there are still top guys like you ( and still Gromit I believe?) at hand with good info. This is my third Q3 but my first 2 were pre 2018. I feel a bit like a new boy again with this latest one!
Thanks again, Daytonagrey.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts