Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a audi Q3 which is 18 months old with 30,000km. On a couple of odd occasions ( even @ 6 months) we noticed a slight burning smell from the car. The problem got worse the other day so I brought it to the garage. The garage have now informed me that it's the clutch and it will need to be replaced.The car has a 3 year warranty but they are saying that the clutch isn't covered on it. Indeed they even tried to blame it on drivebehavior.
I'm extremely annoyed that such an expensive car has a clutch issue already. I think there must be some manufacturing defect if the clutch has failed already. I've had many other cars with lots of mileage that never needed a new clutch.
any advice

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi AudiQ3, I'm very surprised to hear this. My Q3 is 2 years old with lots of mixed journeys and the clutch has never been an issue, indeed there are very few reports on this forum for suspected clutch problems. It sounds to me like the engine has been in regeneration mode to clear the DPF. Mine does it randomly, and occasionally when parking up after a journey you can smell a strong burning smell like the exhaust overheating - which is actually what's going on with the DPF regen. I would have thought the garage would have at least discussed this with youas a possibility. If it is a clutch then yes it is worrying after 18 months. Are all your journeys short?

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
Did you by any chance get the Audi dealer to check it out the first time you noticed the smell? If so it'll be on your service record that the problem started when it was only 6 months old, in which case if the dealer won't do anything it would be worth contacting Audi IE direct and seeing if they would make a contribution to the repair cost at the very least.

Obvious question: any chance that someone driving the car regularly "rides" the clutch (i.e. drives with their foot resting on the clutch pedal) or holds the car on a hill by slipping the clutch instead of declutching & applying the handbrake? If so, this would cause premature clutch wear which I'm afraid wouldn't be covered by warranty. Sorry, had to ask...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi SteadyKev,
When I brought in the car initially they mentioned that it was the DPF, but a few minutes later the mentioned the clutch. We don't leave our foot on the clutch, and the majority of the KM we done over long journeys. There was some city driving too but nothing excessiveIt was a real surprise to hear that it was the clutch. !!!!
thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi audiq3, if it is the clutch did you notice anything that might give a clue e.g. juddering on take up or struggling up hills?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
192 Posts
</font>Did your dealer look at the clutch or are
they making things up as they go along? They should be able to show you on
video if you ask them. <u5:p></u5:p>

</font>In addition a small number of Audi Q3 A1 have
neededto have flywheel replaced.. If the cars been serviced they
should have noticed. <u5:p></u5:p>

</font>If you park your car in the same place are
there any oil stains? Could be a rear main oilseal leak<u5:p></u5:p>

</font>if your car has none of these issues approach
Audi IE and ask for the clutch to be replaced freeas a gesture of
goodwill. If they say no ask them if they will chip in to the cost of
having it replaced<u5:p></u5:p>

</font>If it is your clutch they class it as fair
wear & tear<u5:p></u5:p>

</font>It's short sighted just replacing the clutch
plate only even if the cars not that old. If you are having to stump up
all the cost tell them you want all clutch parts back.<u5:p></u5:p>

</font>That way you can ask a clutch expert to
have a quick look over the parts to see what failed and why and who's
responsible. You never know if itcould bea manufacturing
defect<u5:p></u5:p>

</font>

Edited by: puddy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently purchased q3 and have been experiencing problems with the clutch , there is this burning smell coming which starts wethe car moves in heavy traffic , the dealer tells to drive the car properly but I have experienced such problem with q3 only . any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.

The symptoms certainly point to clutch slip and I can understand the dealer's comments: many people inadvertently slip and ride clutches excessively causing premature wear and a dreadful pong, often accompanied by the terrible screech of an abused release bearing. Point 1 then is to make sure you are engaging the clutch correctly. I take it the dealer checked the clutch out and found nothing wrong?

Let us know what your Q3's spec. is and which country you hail from and we'll see if we can help - the more detail, the better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your reply , I hail from india and I have the Audi Q3 S version(manual one) , I haven't experienced such a burning smell in any of the Japanese cars or others , my Q3 is just a month old and this thing certainly doesn't look cool , can you suggest me with the possible remedies .Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
412 Posts
It could just be the smell of the new exhaust system burning in, that smells very much like a burning clutch. Most new cars have a similar smell for quite a while. You probably wont notice the smell while you're moving, but if you're stationary or moving slowly in traffic, the smell gets into the car interior.Edited by: Malph

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wonder if it could be the brakes binding and getting hot, wouldn't they make a similar smell to a burning clutch? Maybe the handbrake is not fully releasing?

·
Super Moderator
1,744 Posts
darkmatter said:
I wonder if it could be the brakes binding and getting hot, wouldn't they make a similar smell to a burn... Maybe the handbrake is not fully releasing?
One would notice that because the heat produced by the friction is getting stronger and the car would 'pull' slower or even dropping speed/revs when changing gears.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My initial thoughts were the DPF regenerating, but you don't say whether it is petrol or diesel.

If it is a diesel and you do a lot of stop start journeys with no runs sufficient to clear the DPF, this may just be your answer. Another thought- does the radiator cooling fan stay on after you have stopped- another possible sign?

·
Registered
77 Posts
SETIG said:
My initial thoughts were the DPF regenerating, but you don't say whether it is petrol or diesel.

Another thought- does the radiator cooling fan stay on after you have stopped- another possible sign?
If the fan stops on, is that a sign the DPF needs to regenerate, or it is being done.My OH has a tdi A3, and the fan on that sometimes carries on running, when the ignition is off.Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My TDI has a similar smell which has had me wondering, always check wheels but always cold. My BMW 320D never had the same smell.

SE TDI 177 Quattro Stronic Monsoon Grey, full paint/Grey
leather interior with walnut trim, folding passenger seat, Trias wheels,
cruise, Drive select, Xenon lights, front parking sensors, folding mirrors and
advanced key.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts