Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, been a while since posting, too busy working and still enjoying driving my Q3 which is now a year old. However over the past few months I have noticed when releasing the parking brake first thing it does not always release fully, or at least I suspect it does but the front disc pads seem to bind on and I have to allow the weight of the car and sometimes a little forward power to get the pads to release. Then when first driving off and coming to the first junction the brakes are very poor. I put this down to the weather and the salt/grit as confirmed initially when explaining this to my dealership. I had my car serviced recently and they looked at the discs and only re-affirmed what was said previously, but, when I asked one of the technicians he said the discs did look pitted. I am now taking the carein for a few days to my local dealer for further investigation.
Anyone else had similar issues. This spoils what is otherwise a perfect car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess not then

Still, at least I had the brakes serviced for free

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sorry - just seen this thread!
I have to say in my current 19,000 miles (8 months of ownership) I have had none of the problems you describe - I think the Electric Parking Brake is a bit noisy in operation (when listening from outside the car, as the wife drives off in it, again) - but otherwise all is good

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Sherbs, I'll give you a little more info first. The problem started around October last year but was intermittent. I hear what Jules has said but as an ex loco engineer I know that the issue was the pads sticking to the discs. The problem became more common as the winter progressed. At this point note that I have winter wheels & tyres fitted (put on in October!). I put the sticking intermittenly down to the cold weather but noted that it only did it in the morning at home. The car is parked on an angled drive (approx 15deg) and when I pull in I stop the engine, put it into 1st gear and then apply the p/brake, the theory being it is less pressure on the p/brake.
I had the car serviced this January and asked prior to having it taken in to examine the brakes for the sticking problem. During inspection one of their technicians rang and advised that it is not what they thought i.e. salt causing a film on the pad/disc surface but the discs are showing signs of prmeature corrosion with grooving and they will take pictures and send them to Audi Uk for a possible warranty claim.
After getting the car back I left it for a couple of weeks (pads still sticking and I forgot to mention lack of response when first stopping!) and took a day trip to York a round trip of 130 miles. I did not use the car for the next 4 days and when I did there was no problem! Had the run cleaned up & freed everything off?

Anyway I rang the local dealership to ask if Audi Uk had responded but no one could recollect the conversation
. So, I was then back to the start of the original thread above, but, the Service manager had the car rechecked and agreed their was corrosion but showed me other Q3's and other models in and around the compound and they had slight corrsoion on the outer edges of the discs and he said this is normal but agreed to remove all pads, scrub the disc faces and reseat the pads with copper grease as they looked very dry which I agreed. All done free of charge.

The respnse from Audi Uk was quote" The exceptional weather cannot be their responsiblity and corrosion is to be expected. The service manager also advised that other models in the area had similar problems and this was put down to the large exposed brakes with winter alloy wheels combined with a consistently long period of very cold and damp weather.
Sorry for the long post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts