Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having received the pair of excellent panels from spike and taken John/Gromit’s advice on Milliput epoxy putty, stage one to fill the gap took place this morning.
The Milliput putty is great stuff to use but keep it damp and use moistened latex gloves.

I reckon the material thickness is max 2mm so not as thick as it could be…why didn’t they just mould that section solid?
Land vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Tire

Hood Kitchen utensil Material property Font Gas

That should be rock hard by 2pm and fully cured by about 6pm.
I have cut some stiff plastic sheet and will epoxy glue that over the whole thing in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
That should do it a treat, I reckon. If it does it'll be worth moving this thread to the modifications section as I'm sure others could use the information.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing is that it is being done to intact panels.
Once they are fitted, hopefully Saturday, I will see if it will work with broken ones.
You can screw into the putty but, once I am sorted, I can have a proper look at a fix that may work with a screw or pin or two.

I had a PM from Khouri where he has done a metal and epoxy fix on broken ones that seems to be successful. Hopefully he will post it for the great unwashed to see.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plastic cover/stiffening strip now epoxied on. Fitting, all being well, tomorrow.
That looks a dark art as I can’t even find fixings to get the boot floor inserts removed, let alone the side panels. Luckily my mate (says ;)) he knows what he’s doing…he should do with all his years working on VAG vehicles.
Musical instrument accessory Hood Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Looks a lovely neat, sturdy job. (y)

If your mate turns up wielding a jemmy, it's time to get just a mite worried! Seriously, a shout-out to Spike will probably yield that information.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:LOL:
He has neat little trim removing tools etc plus his current A4 Avant is very similar but a better designed set up.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Success!
It was no diy job as he even had to take the back seat out to release everything but mate’s rates are a blessing.

The flap now hangs properly and is very close to the tailgate when shut and I can’t see the reflection of the cill trim now. :)

Now…
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Before….
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Blue Automotive lighting

A big thanks for everyone’s input, particularly spike for the supply of the panels.

I’ve looked at trying the same ‘fix’ on my broken ones but my previous attempt at epoxying them has scuppered it. I think the reinforcing that I did on carefully set tabs might do the job but getting them in the right place might be a bit tricky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts