Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it's not a Starsky & Hutch go-faster stripe.... It's the results of an Orange, left-hand drive, German Articulated lorry trying to occupy the same lane as you....

That's going to need a bit of buffing out lol.. To be honest I never even felt the car being hit!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ouch!

What is it about foreign lorries. Whilst driving my wife's A1 on the M6 a couple of months ago a Polish artic came straight from the slip road into lane 2, where I had just moved into to let him out. He was inches off me when I swerved. Full marks to the A1- I thought it was going over at one stage.

Did you get his details?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He didn't speak a word of English - but gave me all the necessary info - and it's all now in the hands of the Insurers...
Hire Car has just been delivered to tide me over... Range Rover Westminster Diesel... Well that's my average fuel economy figures knackered then!

·
Registered
485 Posts
At least you got his details.Do you think the lack of English was put on for convenience?

Hope the repair goes well and undetectable when done.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That is a sad sight to see
, at least nobody was hurt. Well except your pride maybe

Make sure you insist on an authorised Audi repairer, even if your insurer doesn't have them as an approved bodyshop. With the modern systems they can have an estimate through to your insurer asap, unfortunately they won't order any parts until your insurer has approved it if they aren't on their approved bodyshop list.

I used an Audi approved bodyshop after my accident and the process was great, quality of repair was also 1st class and the warranty is intact. Don't goto one of their own bodyshops, you'll just end up regretting it.

Hope you get it fixed soon

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car taken away this morning on a transporter - to an Audi approved bodyshop - no idea how long it'll take to sort out - luckily (??) as the car is less than 12 months old the paint should match up fine...
The replacement Range Rover (4.4 TDV8!) is nice and everything, but I'm just used to getting more than 30 to the Gallon...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Took them 2 weeks to repair mine and it wasn't anywhere as bad as your scrape so you could be looking at 3 weeks plus. The parts will probably have to come from Germany, this was the main delay with mine. Continue to pester your Ins company to authorise it, they take an age to do this

Should look good as new when you pick it back up, the paint smell however took weeks to go away.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Similar thing happened to me with a "white van" and the repair was carried out by Shorade. They were brilliant and are Audi approved.
http://www.shorade.co.uk/

Just got my excess back from the insurance company

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I afford 3 weeks of V8 power?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can feel your pain, Jules. I hope you have your Q back soon and withno differnece in the wonderfull caribou brown.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jules said:
Can I afford 3 weeks of V8 power?
Look on the plus side.

You will save on mileage and wear and tear on your Q3.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the kind words - this Range Rover may be £70k, but it's not a patch on the Q3 for comfort...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good News! My car is ready for pickup tomorrow

As a special celebration, I've splashed another 30 litres of dieselinto the Range Rover...

Please Please Please be mended properly!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here's hoping it is restored to its former glory

As far as fuel goes it is back to sip, sip instead of glug glug.....

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yes - 33.4 Mpg is my current average... which, to be fair, isn't bad for a monster truck...
I will really miss the sheer "Presence" of the RR though - I mean look at it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jules said:
Thanks for the kind words - this Range Rover may be £70k, but it's not a patch on the Q3 for comfort...
I find this very hard to believe - having had a range rover 3.6TDV8 and also a Range Rover Sport I think they are considerably more comfortable than a Q3. The seats are more comfortable, infinitely more adjustable and range rovers run on air suspension. I found them to be like a big comfortable armchair to cruise the motorways with. We only bought the Q3 as it is the wife's car and she didn't want a car as big as a range rover, nor did she fancy a £490 tax disc (not that she has ever paid the tax disc herself). Given that we get about 39mpg on average from the q3 and you have been getting 33 from the 4.4 range rover I am planning on convincing her that a newer range rover is the future...
Doomed to failure as she likes the q3, but we can try nonetheless

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Simon,
Speak as I find, the Range Rover was a big comfy cruiser, but even with a 4.4 V8 and more Torque than you can shake a stick at, I just found the combination of Weight/momentum and Auto gearbox just made it cumbersome once you left the Motorway (i.e. my usual daily 40 mile commute)
For example, I live in a village in a valley, and the road out is all uphill, with a particular left-hand junction that I use regularly - approach it in the RR and the weight slows you down for the corner, then as you take the bend into another uphill, weight overcomes momentum and the auto shunted about between it's 8 gears before hitting the Torque "Wave" and giving the shove needed (from experience, I learned to use the flappy-paddle manual override to get around this!)

Threading it through some Yorkshire country lanes last week (following a colleague in a Ford S-Max) it wallowed like a ship - and fast cornering in 2.5 Tons of dead-weight wasn't enjoyable - Air suspension or not!
I suffer with a lower back complaint, and again, the RR's big chairs were nice (especially when heated and cooled) but didn't hold you in place particularly well, so I wasn't as comfortable as I'd liked - maybe because it was too roomy?
Don't get me wrong, in so many ways it was a great wagon - it commands total respect from other road users, had amazing visibility and carried all of my holiday luggage without a problem. I even managed to get an (indicated) 36.4 mpg at one point - which is amazing... Plus the kids loved the Freeview TV, and I loved the sunroof!
... But then my Q3 cost less than 50% of the RR, costs 75% less in Road Tax, fits into one standard parking space, and has carried me through 23,000 miles in 9 months, without back pain.
Getting back into the "old girl" today, it was the right size, nimble in traffic (had stop-start too!), and the Sat Nav was vastly superior - and then I drove down to Milton Keynes (all Motorway):

The Q3 is right for me, Will I miss the RR? No... I've got my memories to look back on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
And Jules, Is the carribou restored in it's original glory?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is! - Distinct smell of paint though - as predicted...

Amazingly, I am still awaiting the touch-up stick from Audi (nearly 3 months now), but a bodywork shop has managed to source enough paint to spray a quarter of the car in about 2 weeks...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great news that you have it back Jules and that you're happy with the work, I will be giving foreign plates/left hookers a wide berth on the Motorway from now on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts