Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to introduce myself. I currently have a 2.0 TFSI Q2 S line Quattro with comfort and sound pack. It's always been a bit of marmite car to me. Fast in a straight line, poor handling, and a bargain basement interior from the A3 it's based on. They took the previous gen's A3 interior and seriously cheapened it when it came to the Q2. I came to from the previous A3 which had a much better interior and nicer handling. I ended up with the Q2 as my wife wanted a change from the previous two A3s we had.

So here we are again needing to change our car. I ideally wanted an S3 but have been told there is a wait until November/December this year. The dealer offered a new Q3 Sportback Black Edition Quattro, 2.0 tfsi 190bhp with a comfort and sound pack and upgraded 20 inch alloy wheels which we could have by May. It's certainly a looker but I'm again wondering whether it's going to another marmite car for me like the Q2.

My budget is £550 per month with a similar deposit. I have been quoted around £500pm on pcp for the Q3. My questions to the forum are:

1. Is it a possible to get a new RSQ3 for anywhere near that budget? (tin hat on)
2. Has anyone got a similar specced Q3 sportback and what are their thoughts on it?
3. Has anyone tuned the 2.0tfsi engine?
and finally:
4. What are people's thoughts on the Q3's interior, quality, use of the screens, seats etc?

:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I can’t answer on the first 3 points but as regards 4, interior quality, I would say the Q3 is very good and certainly a lot better than the Q2 interior. (No offence to the Q2 - my wife has one and happy with it).

I am very happy with the interior quality of my Q3 and indeed the whole look of the car. The seats are very comfortable though this is perhaps subjective and certainly as good as the Q2 with the addition of adjustable seat squab. The touch screen seems to work well though once I set my preferences I actually very rarely use it. Any issues? - Can’t really think of any - perhaps maybe a very minor issue is that the lane assist has to be turned off manually each time the car is started. But this is nitpicking and I believe now a “legal” requirement.

By comparison I went to look the Q4 etron but was immediately put off by the abundance of hard plastic - the Q4 interior feel is more akin to the Q2 yet is at least £10k more to buy for a similar spec Q3. My fear is that this is a sign of things to come from Audi and that the current F3 Q3 will be the last with a decent quality interior to justify the cost. Got back into my Q3 and realised it was just a nice place to be.

So, definitely you will notice a big improvement in the interior of the Q3 over your Q2.

Good luck.

Reactions: viperfire

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
The Q2 and Q3 share a lot of chassis components. The F3 Q3 is great vehicle overall, probably the only bit of plastic that really irritates is the lower door trims with the pockets in, compared with the 8U (previous gen) Q3 they are cheap and cheesy.

Now is not the time to go looking for a car, new vehicles are rare, take ages to appear (if at all), and used car prices are through the roof.

If having a pano roof isn't important to you then there are still some 'introductory volume' RSQ3 either new or very low mileage around, some have been stuck to the dealer's forecourt for about 2 years - these cars have bits of the Std, Sports Edition and Vorsprung specs and do represent exceptionally good value. An F3 RSQ3 has a pretty good spec as standard and of course with around 420bhp (98 octane fuel) on tap performance is effortless....you could so a lot worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi and welcome.

I can’t answer on the first 3 points but as regards 4, interior quality, I would say the Q3 is very good and certainly a lot better than the Q2 interior. (No offence to the Q2 - my wife has one and happy with it).

I am very happy with the interior quality of my Q3 and indeed the whole look of the car. The seats are very comfortable though this is perhaps subjective and certainly as good as the Q2 with the addition of adjustable seat squab. The touch screen seems to work well though once I set my preferences I actually very rarely use it. Any issues? - Can’t really think of any - perhaps maybe a very minor issue is that the lane assist has to be turned off manually each time the car is started. But this is nitpicking and I believe now a “legal” requirement.

By comparison I went to look the Q4 etron but was immediately put off by the abundance of hard plastic - the Q4 interior feel is more akin to the Q2 yet is at least £10k more to buy for a similar spec Q3. My fear is that this is a sign of things to come from Audi and that the current F3 Q3 will be the last with a decent quality interior to justify the cost. Got back into my Q3 and realised it was just a nice place to be.

So, definitely you will notice a big improvement in the interior of the Q3 over your Q2.

Good luck.
Thanks for the information Pganders1. Very helpful indeed. Do you find a marked difference when you move between the two vehicles?

Yep it seems Audi are determined to lower the quality of the interiors especially on what they consider the 'lower' models while still hiking the prices up. I remember purchasing my 2013 8v A3 and the interior was so good.

Stepping into the Q2 and just so much was downgraded. It took me a long while to get used to the drop in quality. So it's good to hear I'll be upgrading again (if I do go ahead) instead of downgrading!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Q2 and Q3 share a lot of chassis components. The F3 Q3 is great vehicle overall, probably the only bit of plastic that really irritates is the lower door trims with the pockets in, compared with the 8U (previous gen) Q3 they are cheap and cheesy.

Now is not the time to go looking for a car, new vehicles are rare, take ages to appear (if at all), and used car prices are through the roof.

If having a pano roof isn't important to you then there are still some 'introductory volume' RSQ3 either new or very low mileage around, some have been stuck to the dealer's forecourt for about 2 years - these cars have bits of the Std, Sports Edition and Vorsprung specs and do represent exceptionally good value. An F3 RSQ3 has a pretty good spec as standard and of course with around 420bhp (98 octane fuel) on tap performance is effortless....you could so a lot worse.

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

You wouldn't happen to know any rough costs of the RSQ3s on monthly PCP deals?

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
PCP. No. Try to think of not having a car on a PCP, its a terrible waste of money in normal times (when shortages of new cars isn't driving used car prices so high) If you can, take advantage of low bank base rates and borrow the money outright - you'll be paying off capital and eventually have an asset with value, PCP APR rates are a totally rip-off and assume the punter is total muppet who hasn't a care in the world for the true cost of the purchase.

There are multiple variables that govern the monthly cost - deposit, APR, loan duration, finance incentives, profit in the vehicle and projected future projected residual values. Best find a suitable vehicle and talk to the dealer with a car that you like..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the information Pganders1. Very helpful indeed. Do you find a marked difference when you move between the two vehicles?
Yes, but not the answer you might expect.

Both our Q2 and Q3 are the “35” 1.5 tfsi engines and as a result I actually prefer the drive of the Q2 which has a much better in gear acceleration despite identical engines. I put this down to the heavier weight of the Q3. Not going to be an issue for you with the 2.0 tfsi (40 or 45?) and certainly if I were going Q3 again I would spec the larger engine.

Also, the Q3 Sportback is fitted as standard with the “Sport” suspension whereas our Q2 has standard suspension and as a result the Q3 has a firmer ride probably though this may also be due also in part to the 19 inch wheels - the price you pay for style. I assume however your Q2 S line already has the Sport suspension so this probably won’t be an issue in your case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but not the answer you might expect.

Both our Q2 and Q3 are the “35” 1.5 tfsi engines and as a result I actually prefer the drive of the Q2 which has a much better in gear acceleration despite identical engines. I put this down to the heavier weight of the Q3. Not going to be an issue for you with the 2.0 tfsi (40 or 45?) and certainly if I were going Q3 again I would spec the larger engine.

Also, the Q3 Sportback is fitted as standard with the “Sport” suspension whereas our Q2 has standard suspension and as a result the Q3 has a firmer ride probably though this may also be due also in part to the 19 inch wheels - the price you pay for style. I assume however your Q2 S line already has the Sport suspension so this probably won’t be an issue in your case.
Yea I'm used to and prefer firmer rides so that won't be an issue for me. We test drove the standard Q3 and I could feel, although still fast, that it didn't have the pull the Q2 does with a similar engine. Hence, I'm thinking about a remap as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yea I'm used to and prefer firmer rides so that won't be an issue for me. We test drove the standard Q3 and I could feel, although still fast, that it didn't have the pull the Q2 does with a similar engine. Hence, I'm thinking about a remap as soon as I get it.
Indeed if you didn’t have access to the similar engined Q2 and didn’t know any better you would be happy with it. It’s just that you feel as if you’re missing out on something 😳.

·
Registered
2021 Q3 35TFSI SLine Daytona Grey sound and comfort pack, puddlelights
124 Posts
I went from the Q2 to our curent Q3 both Slines, well the the Q2 was actually a #1 Limited addition but based on the SLine, the interiors are day and night in my opinion the Q3 far far better.
I hated the door cards on the Q2 I have seen better in a van quite honestly, that for me was the worst part of the car.
We had the two front leather seat covers replaced after only fifteen hundred miles it looked like a car with a hundred thou on it, it was obviously done under warranty without any fight with the dealer so that’s was all good, even the spec on the two are miles apart we had no climate on the Q2 despite being top of the range no Vorse sprung or Sq2 at that particular time I really couldn’t believe it.

I am really happy with the Q3 and will probably have another one when this becomes three years old or maybe keep it for four years which is not what we normally do which brings me to the PCP question, it took me a while to get my head around them and I do agree with John if you can afford to go bank loan it it’s certainly the best way to go, although I have heard stories if you have issues with the car to have it on finance or PCP gives you more leverage ? having said that before we retired a bank loan was our choice of payment.
We tend to change our car usually every three years and the low monthly payments on a PCP suit are needs at the minute.

·
Registered
140 Posts
PCP is fine as long as you are aware of what you are actually paying and not going in blinkered to the true cost.
Bank loan interest rates when you go over £25k ish tend to jump significantly into the same or higher APR than available PCP deals.
I currently pay £580/month on PCP for a new in September RSQ3 Sportback Sport Edition over 48 months with a deposit of £7700 (the equity of my trade in rose significantly in a short time but these unprecedented times are bound to end at some point😳).
PCP deals on used cars, particularly in Audis case over a year old can be a lot higher interest rate, that along with the high equity in my 9 month old Q3 pushed me towards new rather than second hand.
I have also noticed the broker I got mine from who has a steady stream of orders in has increased prices from the heavily discounted price of £57k in August/September to £62k for the same spec now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts