Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, first post and all that..
Car is a Q3 2016 S-line plus black edition
I opened the door on my Q3 (hopefully unrelated) and there was a big clanging sound. Sounded like it came from the front driver side wheel area.
I had a look to see if it was anything obvious but nothing.

I drove the car around the block and there was a definite knocking clinky noise when going over bumps etc and then an even bigger clang and someone clearly falling from the car onto the road. See picture.
I’ve checked all the suspension, arms, mounts etc. had a good look in the engine bay, under the car but nothing obvious. Any ideas what you think this may be from?
cheers, Jake
Wood Scaled reptile Font Flooring Hardwood

Hand tool Wood Tool Gesture Finger

Bicycle handlebar Automotive tire Automotive lighting Audio equipment Wood

Wood Gesture Finger Thumb Flooring

·
Registered
106 Posts
Broken coil spring, be careful it doesn’t pop out of cup and puncture tyre but will need replaced.
Be wary of any aftermarket springs as there can be issues with fit into the strut spring cups, genuine while more expensive will be better fit and correct rate for car

·
Super Moderator
6,415 Posts
Yup, me too, which would also explain the circumstances and why you can't see where it's come from. Pretty straightforward job, get to a good VAG independent (not a main dealer fer krissakes), ask them to replace it with a genuine Audi part and get them to check the other front spring at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked all the springs as that was my immediate thought too but all intact and wrong curve. I suppose it could be the very top of the spring or bottom where it curves in more and I can’t see where it has snapped. I measured the tire to the wing and there wasn’t any difference on each side. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I’m assuming it’s not going to be covered by Audi? It’s only got 37000miles on the clock. Pretty **** if it is the spring gone if you ask me.

edit: oh and thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,415 Posts
Oh, and as for Audi covering it on a six-plus year old car? Er.... no.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
I'm amazed my wife's A1 hasn't busted a spring - road humps are not seen.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I'm amazed my wife's A1 hasn't busted a spring - road humps are not seen.
You want to try an ’05 Mini JCW….even smooth roads spit you around. It would help to drive round road humps.
Fastest roller skate for three years though but eventually I had to cry ‘enough’.

·
Super Moderator
6,415 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts