Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Q3, which still needs a name, will be picked up this week. With a long weekend to follow the question is what are the best roads for a first drive to properly experience the Q3. I particularly like the haul road through Glen Fruin to Faslane but think the Q3 deserves to conquer Bealach na Ba over to Applecross. For me it has to be Scotland but interested to hear others favourites.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm looking forward to trying the Silvretta/Stausee and the Timmelsjoch in Austria when mine arrives. Trouble is they will both be closed for the winter when the Q3 lands!

·
Registered
100 Posts
The M25 around junction 13 at 5pm on a Friday is fantastic for testing the start, stop technology.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ho, ho, ho

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Da2922 said:
The M25 around junction 13 at 5pm on a Friday is fantastic for testing the start, stop technology.
...and the M25 between Junctions 3 and 4 is by far the best road to test the park assist.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gromit said:
Da2922 said:
...and the M25 between Junctions 3 and 4 is by far the best road to test the park assist.
LOL
We'll have to drive for an hour to get to a motorway. Nearest dual-carriageway is 8 miles away and only lasts for about 3 miles :) :) We'll just have to go and visit son or daughter so we can get a motorway experience

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Motorways these days are a bit like dentists' appointments - a necessary experience but not a particularly pleasant one.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm looking forward to taking mine (still as yet un-named!) Over to Europe...

Channel Tunnel, thendown to Limoges via the non-motorway route - Abbeville, Le Mans (where you can follow part of the race circuit - complete with run-offs and Arnco) and lots of French main roads - largely deserted with beautiful countryside views, and plenty of Baguette plus coffee stops!

Want to see what sort of range I can coax out - would like to see over 600 miles from a full tank of nice cheap French Diesel

·
Registered
100 Posts
Jules said:
I'm looking forward to taking mine (still as yet un-named!) Over to Europe...

Channel Tunnel, then down to Limoges via the non-motorway route - Abbeville, Le Mans (where you can follow part of the race circuit - complete with run-offs and Arnco) and lots of French main roads - largely deserted with beautiful countryside views, and plenty of Baguette plus coffee stops!

Want to see what sort of range I can coax out - would like to see over 600 miles from a full tank of nice cheap French Diesel
Hi Joules if you are going through rouen which I think you will on the way to Le Mans there is major road works a they are repairing one of the bridges and the sat nav doesn't know this. Try and do a little research to see what bridge is closed and make sure you avoid that area as there are other bridges you can use but you just got to get to them.

We went to France in the q3 a few weeks ago and got stuck at the bridge, took a few minutes to work out a new route and the traffic is heavy.

Don't forget to change to speedo on he DIS and then to kph

·
Registered
613 Posts
Won't be heading over until next year (or maybe Xmas!) - but top tip about the bridge - thanks!
Are you a fan of the non-motorway French roads?

·
Registered
100 Posts
No probs, we only had a week and the gite was about 6.5 hours from the euro tunnel so we decided to go on the toll roads as they are mainly clear and are in very good condition. If we had longer we might have done the non motorway route but it was going to take about 11 hours and he extra time with a five year old would have been hard work

·
Registered
302 Posts
Da2922 said:
No probs, we only had a week and the gite was about 6.5 hours from the euro tunnel so we decided to go on the toll roads as they are mainly clear and are in very good condition. If we had longer we might have done the non motorway route but it was going to take about 11 hours and he extra time with a five year old would have been hard work
French roads are (in general) so much better than British roads. The toll roads are worth the money if you want to do long distances - although you have to compare the cost of tolls with a night in an Ibis etc, just depends how long you have got. The number and standard of places to stop for a break is excellent (apart from the insistence on having the French loos - probably fine for men and cleaning, not so good for women and children
). Even fairly minor roads are better than British - unlike how they were 40 years ago when travelling in the back seat of a 2CV was like sitting on a trampoline a few feet under a roof - ouch

·
Registered
234 Posts
As a regular commuter between the UK and Southern Germany, using the French Autoroutes is a no-brainer. Lovely empty roads, especially on Sundays when the trucks are all parked up. Just gotta watch out for the rozzers with their mobile radar, especially on the A26 heading north from Reims to Calais. FYO the French have started installing speedcams in the central reservations of Autoroutes but, very kindly, warn you in advance that they are there
You'll spot them, they are low down dull grey boxes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Absolutely love driving through the backroads of France - especially tree lined ones through the country side. Pity about the amount of roundabouts that have cropped up over the last 15-20 years in the towns and villages. At least it slows you down to appreciate the architecture! May do a "Tour de France" by car next or the following summer and hit some chatueax, vineyards inc. Champagne and Cognac/Bordeaux region. May not be doing too much driving to avoid the gendarmerie in those regions!
Over to you mon amour
May try the 4wd through the Pyrenees next year in the winter to get to Portugal.Jules - if you do go xmas or early next year, let us know how you get on with the economy. Especially anyone with a 177 tdi quattro s-tronic.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What's the drill re: 'running in' a new car ?? I may have the opportunity to drive to a friend in Scotland soon after picking mine up - 600 mile round trip straight up/down the A1. I don't drive fast - managed 53 mpg in OH's Passat last time I did it.

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Basically, don't thrash it. Engineering tolerances are much better than in the old days, so providing you keep the revs below about 3000 and the speed below Warp Factor 2 for the first 1000 miles or so you'll be fine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gromit said:
Basically, don't thrash it. Engineering tolerances are much better than in the old days, so providing you keep the revs below about 3000 and the speed below Warp Factor 2 for the first 1000 miles or so you'll be fine.
Thanks, Gromit
Warp Factor 2 sounds a bit fast for me anyway - will stick to Warp Factor 1 and leave OH to try taking off into orbit once run-in a bit

·
Registered
485 Posts
TheContact said:
Absolutely love driving through the backroads of France - especially tree lined ones through the country side. Pity about the amount of roundabouts that have cropped up over the last 15-20 years in the towns and villages. At least it slows you down to appreciate the architecture! May do a "Tour de France" by car next or the following summer and hit some chatueax, vineyards inc. Champagne and Cognac/Bordeaux region. May not be doing too much driving to avoid the gendarmerie in those regions!
Over to you mon amour
May try the 4wd through the Pyrenees next year in the winter to get to Portugal.Jules - if you do go xmas or early next year, let us know how you get on with the economy. Especially anyone with a 177 tdi quattro s-tronic.
See my post re fuel consumption on my trip in June (177TDI Quattro S-tronic)-

http://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/fuel-consumption_topic310_post8214.html?KW=france#8214

1 - 20 of 22 Posts