Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good idea to back up the SAT NAV SD for when it's broken or stolen? Or wouldn't it work?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I haven't tried but I reckon Audi would have the card locked down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HiTook delivery of my Q3 S-Line TDI 177 on 1st May and immediately wanted to backup my NAV SD card.I bought a SanDisk 8Gb Ultra SDHC card and a Kingston MobileLite G3 USB3 card reader for the project and used the freeware utility HDD Raw Copy Tool from www.hddguru.comto clone the SD Card. I made an image file of the original Audi NAV SD card onto my data drive and then copied the image onto the new SDHC card. All seems OK and will trythe copyout in anger tomorrow using it to drive from Surrey to Cambridge.Hope that this helps.QBPS Take great care when using HDD Raw Copy Tool. You MUST write the Audi SD Cardimage to a FILE on your hard disk. Writing the image directly to a data drive - BUS | SATA on the LH column of the "Please Select TARGET" screen - will trash your PC hard drive!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My q3 needs SD card for sat nav can this be copied or have to be original Audi part also does SD card have to be coded by Audi.thanks ray

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Hi Ray,

Yes and yes. The SD card has to be an original Audi issue and needs activating by Audi Service dept. techies before it'll work. Many have searched for - and tried - alternative (read cheaper) methods but all sadly have failed. Expect a total bill of about 500 smackeroonies for the whole job (supply & fit).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gromit are the SD cards car specific or can you take your active SD card and put it in another Q3 that doesn't have satnav and it will work?

Bit like going on holiday with your own Sky card (yes im that sad!)

TK

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Nope you can't take them with you, even if you buy another new Audi you can't transfer the card across to it. This is the main reason i just use my trusty Garmin. I'd have it in a shot if i could either take it out or transfer it to my new car. Good cashcow i suppose for them.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I wonder how much it is to upgrade the maps if your sat nav is on the HDD in the car?

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Tommy: no, the SD card is mated to the car on activation and has to stay with the car. Otherwise you could replace your Q3 with one lacking SAT/NAV and take your SD card from your old car with you. This would do Audi out of some much-needed revenue and we can't have that, now can we?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts