Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So drove down to West London Audi yesterday in the B9 RS4 2.9 450PS and drove back in the RSQ3 Performance 367PS - and surprisingly perhaps the RSQ3 is better car, driver orientated and genuinely good fun to drive. Where as the RS4 could do blindingly fast and corner like nothing else I've ever driven, competent but completely unengaging, the RSQ3 feels like it's alive and the lack of perfection in the handling department actually makes it a vastly better vehicle to live with. Ride quality in the RSQ3 is superior - the RS4 had Dynamic Ride Control and set to 'Comfort' both cars are on 20" rims.

Ascari Blue is a weird colour - without the sun it's just a soapy dark blue - as soon as the sun hits it there is a transformation into a sparkly hue, looks gorgeous.

As you would expect the 367PS ensures that it's always rapid, still the loveable Jekyll and Hyde split personality - refined and smooth on one hand an then try a little harder and the psychopath makes a sudden and brutal appearance so as intoxicating as before.

It's a three year old car, I've washed it this morning (West London Audi's (Sytner) car valet team either need training or a trip to Specsavers - or both, simply dreadful, I'll sort that, a few paint chips to fix. Got a a 4 wheel chassis alignment check done this morning - really essential on RSQ3 as they tend to wear tyres oddly if it's out, sharpens up the handling too.

A few jobs to do - Gromit's boot area left hand storage net upgrade and a Carbon Fibre (real) bumper protector to go on - ordered from Taiwan via Ebay.

One odd thing is that the TPMS function is greyed out - was standard on RSQ3, there is still three weeks of warranty left so I'll get it checked out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks lovely! Salivating over it and your double garage :)

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks lovely! Salivating over it and your double garage :)

Thanks Pete - yeah double garage otherwise known as my 'play room', tiled it recently as the original floor paint (not applied by myself) had got very scruffy. We moved here nearly 19 years ago I recall that the No1 criteria on my house hunting list was the garage.

Reactions: PeteUK

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Simon - yours looks perfect. I took a few photos of mine last Saturday in the sunshine and back on the PC it looks very much like Sepang Blue, the strangest colour. Had the last car detailed and planning to get this one done too. Do you have TPMS on yours - or is it just mine?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Weeeyyyy, lovely! I've decided I'm going to get the 'TDI Tuning' box to up the power a little bit. It'll apparently be around the same numbers as your performance model once plugged in: https://tdi-tuning.com/car/audi/rs-...ft/crtd4-multi-channel-petrol-tuning-box-chip

I'll get it rolling road tested before and after, just to see really!

On a side note, how do I see the TPMS? I've not really fiddled about with the car settings too much

Oh and one last question - does it have those cool sliding indicators?

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weeeyyyy, lovely! I've decided I'm going to get the 'TDI Tuning' box to up the power a little bit. It'll apparently be around the same numbers as your performance model once plugged in: https://tdi-tuning.com/car/audi/rs-...ft/crtd4-multi-channel-petrol-tuning-box-chip

I'll get it rolling road tested before and after, just to see really!

On a side note, how do I see the TPMS? I've not really fiddled about with the car settings too much

Oh and one last question - does it have those cool sliding indicators?
Wow, that's a big number power increase number, you need to find out if that gizmo reduces torque output in the lower gears otherwise you run the risk of shredding a VERY expensive transmission.

TPMS - it's off the Car Menu, something like servicing and checks.

Animated - indicators - yes! And LED headlamps - which for even beam pattern/spread are even better than the RS4's cool Matrix jobs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks Simon - yours looks perfect. I took a few photos of mine last Saturday in the sunshine and back on the PC it looks very much like Sepang Blue, the strangest colour. Had the last car detailed and planning to get this one done too. Do you have TPMS on yours - or is it just mine?
It does yes. Gave a warning (a false alarm) miles from anywhere on the A303 when I was driving to Devon for a holiday which wasn't an ideal introduction!

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TPMS - that's my recollection of it too on my last RSQ, my wife's A1 is also equipped and that tells porkies too. For what it's worth the RS4 had the full fat 'sensor in each wheel', which also reported tyre temp on the dash display - the sensor valves had a tendency to misreport data - so that would do false alarms just as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looking good, lovely colour. As you say looks Sepang in the picture (same wheels as mine so I am hoping the new brake pads reduces brake dust as they aren't the easiest the clean!) but pearl in the sunlight.

Keep me posted on the performance difference to your original RSQ3 and welcome back.

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking good, lovely colour. As you say looks Sepang in the picture (same wheels as mine so I am hoping the new brake pads reduces brake dust as they aren't the easiest the clean!) but pearl in the sunlight.

Keep me posted on the performance difference to your original RSQ3 and welcome back.
Thanks Cookie' as far as a performance difference between the 340 and the 367 - it really doesn't feel any different - it amounts to an 8% in power increase, negligible. It's still blisteringly quick and this 3 year old/15,000 mile example would have appear to have been driven gently, front discs are barely lipped and the tyres are about half worn - the engine still feels tight. I never got more than 18,000 out of a set on the last RSQ3 so this one must have been driven by Miss Daisy...actually I know it was someone called 'Mark' he had an iPhone and lived in Birmingham...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, that's a big number power increase number, you need to find out if that gizmo reduces torque output in the lower gears otherwise you run the risk of shredding a VERY expensive transmission.

TPMS - it's off the Car Menu, something like servicing and checks.

Animated - indicators - yes! And LED headlamps - which for even beam pattern/spread are even better than the RS4's cool Matrix jobs.
Given some of the numbers I've seen this engine put out (same as the RS3 and so on, right?) I'd be surprised if the transmission couldn't handle it. The number these guys claim for an increase is actually relatively small in comparison to this offering (which is a fair bit more expensive and non-removeable as it's an ECU remap, so voids warranty): APR Audi RS Q3 2.5 TFSI ECU Upgrade

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'Surprise' would be a circa £6000 bill John! But hey, go for it...I'd still talk to Revo in Daventry and see if they can adapt the 340ps map for you - that's switchable.

Can't be many RSQ3's left in factory Warranty now - they disappeared from the price list around January 2017 I recall. There are more RS4 B9 models on the road and they were only on sale for 6 months last year than the 3+ years total for the RSQ3.

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Less than 100 Performance versions registered apparently.

:tango_face_smile:
67 according to 'how many are left' an RSQ3 is a very rare sight in any case...still believe it's one of Audi's best kept secrets, undoubtedly a better car in every day practical terms than a B9 RS4 Avant.

·
Registered
411 Posts
With regards to tuning, I think I'd rather get a TCU tune than an engine remap. My car has many foibles but the slow witted gearbox is probably the most frustrating bit about it. It's like a mum at school sports day. You press the pedal because you want to go faster and it insists on kicking its shoes off and hitching its skirt up first. Whenever you're ready!

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TBH the gearbox thing doesn't sound right - is your car fully patched up to date with the latest software? There have been Stronic ECU updates - I know mine is fully patched and have no issues, in fact it's so swift that there is no need to use Sport mode at all. I see Revo do a money back within 30 days option for their Stage 1 remap and a 70% discount if you decide to further upgrade to Stage 2.

I have a few things to do to this car to get it to near perfect first which includes some body paintwork (is being done by West London Audi), rectifying a poor effort by Birmingham Audi when it was in the original owner's hands. Maybe this time around I won't rule out doing a remap depending on the insurance implications.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Very nice John and a nice spec too!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts