Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just a question - when you stop at a junction and your stop start turns the engine off - does it stop you from moving the steering wheel - like it is locked? Mine does and it just seems odd as my wife's mini doesn't do it when the engine stops you can still move the steering wheel freely - it locking up just seems a bit odd!

V

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, Vern, yes - it hasnt locked the steering, it's just so heavy that you cant turn the wheel!!!

Personally, I find it's a bit of a nuisance - and a bit dangerous to be honest - there's nothing worse than expecting an immediate response approaching a junction only to find the engine has cut out.

It would be better if there was more of a delay before the engine actually cut out - it seems as though as soon as the wheels come to a stop it cuts out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On the s tronic If you don't press down so hard on the brake it won't cut out. If its a problem for you just turn it Edited by: Steppy

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is not a problem for us mortals that have manuals as you just keep your foot on the clutch pedal and then decide if you want to disengage the feature via the button.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I know this an old thread, I have an 2017 2.0 TSFI auto, I have been having an Intermittent issue with my start and stop where when it starts back up the steering is really HEAVY while the car is in motion for few secs at first but now it heavy till i stop and turn the car off (this happen to me 4 times and no error on dash), I normally turn it off the stop/start as soon i get in the car, but i forgot to turn it off last Sunday and had to fight with my steering wheel to stay in line after queuing traffic coming off the M1, Audi have check it out twice and can't find no errors or nothing wrong with the car, I called Audi and told them about the issue i had on Sunday and there going to get escalated and will get back to me by Friday, Has anyone experience this with there Q3s before?

·
Super Moderator
5,778 Posts
I've not seen anything like your issue reported before and I'm no mechanic, but I suggest you get your battery state and charging rate checked out. The power steering is electric and depends a lot on battery state, which in turn is affected by the stop/start system. It sounds like the PAS is being starved of power and I'd regard the battery as the prime suspect. At the very least it's a good starting point.

Reactions: PeteUK
1 - 6 of 6 Posts