Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2013 diesel A3. Had it valeted and the valet guy managed to run the battery down by having the AC running for 5 hours.
Managed to jump start the car with a battery pack, started first time, but if I then take my foot off the clutch (before putting the car into gear to drive) the engine stalls. If I put it straight into gear and then drive it then it’s fine, but I should be able to take my foot off the clutch whilst idling?

I didn’t have this issue before I had to jump start it. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Hi and welcome.
I’ll gloss over the a/c thing as that seems crazy but surely it would only work with the engine running - did he die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

I am absolutely no electrical person but I would say the battery needs a **** good charge first. If the car had been sitting for a while, the natural cycle would have flattened it...Covid battery syndrome. Both our car’s batteries have needed charge top-ups during the lockdowns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yeah sorry not the AC, but he had the blowers and radio etc on whilst cleaning. I’ll try and give the battery a good charge. Thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Audi's are prone to all sorts of interesting problems if the battery runs flat. I agree with DavidS, a serious battery charge is needed. The only problem might be that due to the vehicle age and the battery going flat you might have a buckled plate in the battery so this will need replacing.

Reactions: dipesh98

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
And then charge the valet guy for the new battery and getting it coded to the car!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I may be missing something here but doesn’t this sound like the stop/start working as expected in a manual car? If fitted and programmed off previously could the flat battery have reset it back to default on?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I may be missing something here but doesn’t this sound like the stop/start working as expected in a manual car? If fitted and programmed off previously could the flat battery have reset it back to default on?
Good thinking. Especially from re-reading the OP.
It resets every time the ignition is used on the auto.
Many of us automatically turn the stop/start off as soon as we get going.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a q3 which i don’t drive a lot. I have intermittent stop start issues and the epc light going off. I think it’s down to the battery and plan to charge it with a smart charger and possible restore via the repair function. i will need to remove/disconnect the battery to perform the repair function. Any idea where I can find some instructions to remove the battery? Any help appreciated, thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I've read that on many smart chargers the restore function uses a high charging voltage cycle which is not good for Stop Start AGM batteries.
Best to just give it a good charge on the standard, or AGM setting if it has the option.

Q. what year is your Q3, and is the battery in the engine bay or boot

Cheers Spike

·
Super Moderator
6,171 Posts
I second that. Just let the smart charger do its thing and fully charge it then see if that cures the problem before trying anything more drastic. Certainly don't use the Restore function - as it's an AGM battery it may not end well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've read that on many smart chargers the restore function uses a high charging voltage cycle which is not good for Stop Start AGM batteries.
Best to just give it a good charge on the standard, or AGM setting if it has the option.

Q. what year is your Q3, and is the battery in the engine bay or boot

Cheers Spike
Mines a 2014 1.4 tfsi, sits in the engine bay

1 - 12 of 12 Posts