Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are extras such as GAP, Supaguard (or whatever they use these days) alloy and tyre protection worth shelling out for, I’ve been offered GAP and supaguard in the past but never taken them out on previous cars, as I didn’t think they were worth the money, so has anything changed significantly with them recently meaning I should now consider them.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
After a persuasive big sell I stuck to my guns and declined all upselling extras. It’s more about dealer commission than buyer value IMHO. They halved the Autoglym paint thingy before I even twitched but it was still £500…plus £400 odd for GAP and I was already a spit over my budget anyway.
And service plans won’t cover used RS’s. I don’t do enough miles to justify now anyway.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
401 Posts
I took GAP insurance as I am on PCP.
For my previous car I got GAP from admiral it was I think 400 or 500 for 4 years.
When bought Audi looked at the price of GAP it was something near to what I paid in past so took it.
Rest is a no no for me.
A paintless dent removal usually costs 100 to 120 per dent.
Have never got alloy wheels repaired I just try to be careful but again few years back I don't think we were all too fussy about wheels getting scratched or kerbed, but now we are :)

·
Super Moderator
3,101 Posts
As David has said the extras just increase dealer profit margin, GAP if you have it on finance, but shop around, the dealer sales person is incentivised to push the add-ons. I do note they rather lose interest when you say no to everything.

Reactions: Gromit

·
Super Moderator
6,229 Posts
Wot John sez. They value-added crap they offer is just that - never worth it and horribly overpriced. As was pointed out a few years ago by another member, a lot of the extra "treatments" are completely unnecessary and often already applied at the factory. The only insurance worth considering is GAP but don't ever get it from the dealer, their margins are sky-high and you can always find it hugely cheaper elsewhere. In a nutshell, say no to everything regardless of what it is and if there's anything you actually need get it from somewhere else.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have usually taken out GAP but not with the dealer, rather an independent company. That said I haven’t bothered with the current car since being insured with NFU I get 2 years “new for old” replacement If the car is a total loss or stolen and while a number of GAP policies allow you to defer the start of the policy for a year none that I’m aware of allow you to defer for 2 years.
I have taken the Supagard from Audi though but at nothing like the price they first quoted me. Car comes up gleaming each time it’s washed. I’ve also taken wheel, paint and dent insurance but again from an independent rather than the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
3,101 Posts
Another thumbs up for NFU for insurance, a breath of fresh air, it matters not with a car under warranty but the car insurance policies include RAC breakdown cover as std, no extra cost. There is an odd clause in the policy - you must not carry more than 2,000 shotgun cartridges at any one time! Have declared all the mods on the RS with no increase in premium.

Insured buildings and contents with them now too. It's old school, have to use the telephone....

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
They saw you coming John.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Super Moderator
3,101 Posts
They saw you coming John.
Almost certainly... :)

I did query the shotgun shell thing, not unsurprising given the farming connection, I thought it might of been a weight concern, so the popular 28grm cartridges weigh 2.8Kg/100 so 2,000 is fairly hefty - a lot of mass sat in the boot. Turns out the concern is over the cumulative explosive quantity being in one place, strange because the ammunition is inert even if set fire to.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree with David S re: Dealer commission. I took out GAP and an additional Upholstery protection. After some months I did more homework on the GAP and cancelled it. As for the Upholstery protection, it did little for the spilt turkey fat on the back seat (DON'T ASK !). Should have put it in the boot with the dog !

·
Registered
289 Posts
When my wife recently enquired of MFU about insurance for her new GOLF 8 R amongst other question was does she intend to carry any live stock, ie sheep etc IN the car, explosives too as well shot gun cartridges, it is afterall a service for the farming fraternity, the questions are understandable.

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts