Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had the optional Audi Drive Select and/or Damper Control fitted and their opinions of it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got drive select - it is good but I find the coasting bit on economy mode a bit weird - stange sensation - I normally have it on auto mode or sport

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have drive select and damper control, you cannot have damper control without the drive select. At the moment I cannot say for definite which mode is better for overall mpg, I have only done 900miles so far but will update as the miles progress. The damper settings are barely perceptible from a shock absorbing point of view other than to say that when in comfort mode the ride is slightly softer but when in dynamic mode the car has a tight steering feel and is stiffer through corners. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
On a recent trip to Yorkshire in the old A4.I was explaining to the non technical one who sits beside me,that our new Q3 with Audi drive select would "Freewheel" down long gradients,if in efficientcy mode.She replied very knowingly,"That should save a bit of fuel".Then the non technical one hit me with the biggy."What happens then,if you are in cruise control,does it still roll"The controller of the wheel sat in stunned silence,and very smartly,changed the subject to shoes.This had the desired effect of taking her mind off Audi drive select.However,if the question shows its ugly head again,I need an answer!!!!WHAT DOES HAPPEN

·
Registered
111 Posts
Isn't this "freewheeling" thing more for horizontal stretches? My understanding was that when using this, you would get the same effect on an S-tronic rolling, say, toward a traffic light, without using fuel and without braking, equivalently to a manual-transmission with clutch fully pressed down.
Downhill, I would think that the "energy recuperation" technology was the thing to have, but this one I have no clue at all how works. (From the brochures my guess would be that some sort of dynamo produces electricity (and thus in the process braking) which is used to charge the battery a little bit, but I'm not sure.)
Would be nice if somebody knowledgeable about this could explain! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi JayNThanks for input.I think the energy recouperation works by turning the alternator into a sort of dynamo.When not needing engine power to drive,the alternator switches to dynamo mode and sends a charge to the battery.This is stored until required by the engine.Thus saving the alternator from supplying that energy.This in turn needs less power from the engine.Hence less fuel!!! I THINK.My partners question relates to Drive Select and cruise control.ie does the Q3 S-Tronicknock itself out of gear,when going downhill (with cruise engaged) as it supposed to when driving normally.If it does,how is the speed controlled.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi WalA dynamo and an alternator basically do the same thing, generate electricity, the difference between the two are that an dynamo produces DC current and an alternator produces AC current, dynamos have not been used in cars for a long time now.Here's Audi's explanation as to howenergy recuperation works....

When you decelerate, the energy created is lost. Brake energy recuperation
recycles this energy to lighten the load on your engine. It can reduce fuel
consumption by up to 3%.

When you're coasting or braking, the car's alternator generates energy. Brake
energy recuperation allows this energy to be stored. When you accelerate or
drive at a constant speed this stored energy is used so less energy is wasted in
driving the alternator. This lowers fuel consumption and CO2 emissions.To be honest I'm still lost with this, as long as an alternator is turning it is producing electricity and charging the battery and supplying the car with enough electricity to function so I don't really understand what is new here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts