Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all

An S-tronic question as this Is my first S-tronic and I’m a bit unsure

Driving yesterday down hill and over speed bumps, after braking the box had shifted down a gear and was hence reving more but didn’t change up. In the end I had to paddle shift to the next gear but even that seemed to take a while.

Is this a normal S-tronic thing?

Sorry if it’s a bit of a daft question but as I said this is my first one, in fact my first automatic in 32 years of driving

Its a 1.5 MHEV if that makes any difference

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Sounds normal.

In addition, being an MHEV there is a battery that needs charging so one could hazard a guess that vehicle keeps the engine spinning on overrun going down hill so as to boost the battery?

Reactions: Q3 Dave

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John

Sorry if it was a silly question but coming from a manual it’s all new. I still go to change gear every now and then:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,321 Posts
Yeah, that'll be exciting, left feet are programmed to push the pedal to the floor, when encountering the braking function this has a dramatic effect. :)

My wife went through the same thing back in 2015, 1st ever auto (A1 Stronic) now she says she will never have another manual transmission car.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
Sounds perfectly normal to me. The S-Tronic 'box provides significantly more engine braking than a conventional automatic and it's meant to hold the lower gear until you press the throttle when it'll change up instantly. It's great for descending long steep hills, just do all your braking at the top of the hill and it'll change down to a suitable ratio and hold it all the way down until you touch the throttle again. If it hasn't changed down far enough just use the left-hand paddle to drop another cog, then if you hold the right-hand paddle for a second or two it'll switch back to automatic mode.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
As Gromit said. It’s designed to do that.
It does end up sounding like it’s going to blow up sometimes. Well, it did in thecdiesel - the RS seems a tad more subtle. I ended up trying to feather the brake rather than activate the ground anchor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, at least I know it’s doing it’s job

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ignore the elderly person’s mis-post.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
The s-tronic is seriously clever. If say you are going down a hill then it can go in to free-wheel mode. If you are going down a hill then it will use engine braking to control the speed. All of the s-tronic functionality is controlled by the Drive Select and it learns from how you drive the car. I have my Q3 set to dynamic all the time, I never set it in to sport mode (makes noise) and use the paddles if I need to get pass something quickly. As soon as you flick a paddle you go in to manual mode which is restored to automatic after a period of time. If, after using the paddles, you want to go back in to automatic then pull the right hand paddle towards you and hold for a couple of seconds. It is safer to use the paddles as both hands are still on the steering wheel. The combination of s-tronic and ACC is very good, if your ACC works correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts