Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Potential new lease / purchase of Q3
Before I start I've ready practically every post to make sure there is little to no repetition.

Many thanks to all the members, owners etc leaving posts information on matters that I would have otherwise raised in this post and that a dealer or www review may not otherwise know or want to answer.!

I'm Audi familiar and converted to the brand having had [last 2 cars] an A3 sport back 1.9TDi 5dr and current [my mid life crisis kids left home] hand spec options TT Tdi Quattro [that took 24 weeks!! ] and due change Jan 14.

Which brings me here, I've looked at the new Merc A class, cheaper maybe better standard spec in areas, but it's not Audi build and the Mrs didn't like it ! One Audi showroom visit later one sit down in Q3 the Mrs said within a minute yes get this one pointed out the pluses [forgot to say did the same in the Merc but the negatives, like rear vision]. By the way it will be my 10k pa work car in the main. Also considered Bmw 320 tour but $ and old hat maybe?

Okay, here we go, I've yet to test drive and I will be arranging very shortly my current considered derivatives which are:

Q3 none Quattro 177 [pretty much same engine in last 2 cars that I'm happy with], also no real 4wd gain apart from once a year snow and my last Quattro 4 corners were 650 in one bite, ouch but hey ho, I knew what was coming.

SE with Xenon and LED interior light pack with 18" wheels / cheaper tyres less likely to kerb alloys and for the better ride? [it seems but I will be the judge, that the ride is harder on S-Line and not worth the extra?] if it's not I may be better as little cost difference with S Line and if I'm driving a TT sport the ride can only be softer whatever I chose]
Or
As simple as an S Line with LED interior light pack. Driving away from all kerbs etc. hopefully the tyre profile offers some alloy buffer?, plus Audio? See next.

Reading the posts will it/won't it? Have DAB ? Not really bothered either way as I'm a music ipod MP3 junky
Audio - I've currently got the Bose sound bundle and whilst the sound is crystal it's not particularly loud. Looking forward to MMI as my current audi manufactured none MMI mp3 iPod connectivity is spoilt by none track recognition.
Do I go for the extra Audi sound pack ? But I recall this woofer may take up some boot? In which case the answer is no, I will want the spare wheel to. All that said I could have kept this short by saying is the standard audio spec fit for purpose? As the Bose sound pack I paid big $ for was only really worth if for the mp3

Read a few tyre vibration noise posts? Is this an urban myth or maybe a couple of Friday afternoon productions? Again my test may/will reveal all. Whilst very subjective I've read all the web test reviews which are mainly good but I will be the judge and jury.

I've also been informed [but reading here this must be a sales pitch] I won't have to wait long at all maybe 2 months?? Maybe there are a few kicking around and I could be lucky?

Forgot to mention electric folding door mirrors but I'm sure I can step down to manual unless its raining!

Look forward to your / any comments, I'm sure I will think of other things to say and will bounce back to suit.

TT2Q3

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Whew, where to start? First, you're bound to get strongly differing opinions here, so read all responses and relate them to your tastes & requirements before making any decisions.

The SE and S-Line variants are to cater for both people like me that like comfort and practicality of the SE and other folks who like the trendier looks and sportier seats of the S-Line. For pure comfort, stick to standard 17" wheels and suspension, although 18" wheels probably won't detract much from that comfort level. Avoid the S-Line optional sports suspension - numerous reports rate this as too hard for comfort. Try the SE and S-Line seats and draw your own conclusions from them.

Unless you specify Bose sound (probably not worth it's money) you will definitely NOT be getting DAB.

The most useful options (in my opinion) are power folding mirrors, the interior LED lighting pack, the storage pack (although if you have the S-Line or power-adjustable seats the underseat drawers are too small to be of much use) and the SD SAT/NAV.

The subwoofer will take up boot space - get your salesperson to show or describe to you precisely how much.

To me, 4WD is well worth it - you may only need it for a few snowy days of the year but then it's invaluable.

Delivery will be a good 10-12 weeks minimum unless you find a prebuilt stock vehicle with everything you want on it - this is unlikely. Get the salesperson to give you a more accurate estimate before confirming your order. Mine was ordered in mid April and collected end of June.

The wheel vibration is not a myth, but (a) it seems to affect cars with larger wheels more than standard ones, and (b) they seem to have got a handle on it now, so don't worry about it. It only affects (or has affected) a very small number of cars and no-one here has reported a problem with a recently built vehicle.

Finally, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the way it drives - I know I was and I came from Jaguar to Audi! All in all it's a lovely car and I'm chuffed to pieces with mine.

Of necessity, all this information is purely subjective and I think you should wait a short while until you get other opinions from owners with different perspectives and priorities to mine. I don't think you'll have to wait long!

Edited by: Gromit

·
Registered
11 Posts
</font>I had thought about sharing my views on the Q3 detailed below
at a later stage having only just finished the 1500 Km running in session. However
TT2Q3's request for relevant information has prompted me to do it now.</font>

</font></font>

</font>My Q3 was bought to replace an A4 (2.4 litre Multitronic SE)
I had from new in 2002 and which gave me brilliant service. In order not to make
this a boring narrative I will briefly make my observations and if anybody wants
to ask a specific question then I will be happy to answer.</font>

</font></font>

</font>The performance is very adequate – much better than the old A4
but a bit short of my SLK 350, which is a different driving experience all together.</font>

</font></font>

</font>The S-line look suits me a lot as I especially love the 5 spoke
wheels, the alcantara/leather seats and the Daytona Grey colour. There is no crashing
of the S-line suspension over bumps, sleeping policemen etc. – something I have
to say I was dreading between ordering and delivery. It is a bit harder than
the A4 but not bone jarring like the SLK.</font>

</font></font>

</font>The SD satnav (a first for me) is brilliant. I like the way it
shows you the view ahead and around you as if you are in an aeroplane at 3000 feet.
You are able to “see” things out of immediate view.</font>

</font></font>

</font>The aircon is massively efficient and the permanent 4WD, being
a new thing to me, is fantastic. It can leave the SLK standing on twisty, poorly
surfaced roads, which abound inland down here in southern Spain.</font>

</font></font>

</font>I have the storage pack and Gromit is right to mention the
near useless size of the under seat drawers. However it is a legal requirement here
for the driver and passenger to have within reach a high visibility vest and
these fit perfectly in the spaces provided.</font>

</font></font>

</font>Things I don't like are the lack of folding mirrors (but enough
has been written about this subject) nor the 4 cylinder vibration not felt in
the V6, however they really are minor complaints.</font>

</font></font>

</font>I think that if I absolutely had to choose a one car fits all
then it would be the Q3 RS so impressed I am with this one.</font>

</font></font>

</font>Good luck in your quest.</font>

</font>

·
Registered
518 Posts
One point re boot space. If you are having the spare wheel (which I think is standard equipment now) then the subwoofer of eitherthe Audi sound system or Bose system sits inside the spare wheel, so it doesn't lose you any boot space, i.e you cannot have the spare wheel and extra boot space too. You need to make a choice on that point.Re wheel size and drive comfort, I agree with Gromit that it seems the 17" wheels are best for drive comfort. I have the SE 177 TDi with 17" wheels and find the ride to be excellent, with no roll on corners. I haven't driven a Q3 with 18" wheels, so cannot comment, but for me the 17" wheels offer a great ride coupled with excellent handling. The higher profile tyres that come with the 17" wheels also offer greater protection against damage to the alloys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback so far, looks like I have mis quoted in parts eg wheels sizes but you saw beyond and got my drift.
Any comments on the Audi audio, did you all settle for standard issue? Anyone get the extra Audi audio option.? And what do
you think?
Will have a good old listen when I test drive.
it seems the SE spec is the way to go, but the difference in cost to an S-Line is so slender it makes it attractive.

Did not mention colour assume a choice beyond standard does not put a spanner in the works? May just stick to white.

On the subject of test drives, anyone know what's the max test drive you can get from a dealership and hopefully they are unassisted?
Remember years back when the new style Honda civic was launched I got one for a whole weekend. Would an Audi dealer do it?

Surprised Q3's don't have motorised open tailgate like the Volvo or even motorised close or do they ? option? or is that just OTT?

All for now TT2Q3

·
Registered
302 Posts
TT2Q3 said:
On the subject of test drives, anyone know what's the max test drive you can get from a dealership and hopefully they are unassisted?
Remember years back when the new style Honda civic was launched I got one for a whole weekend. Would an Audi dealer do it?
I don't know about other dealers, but when we had an accompanied test drive (fine for us - got the opportunity to discuss the car ) the salesman said that they had only got one demo Q3 as they were in short supply

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
I have the standard audio and find it fine. The bass is strong enough not to need a subwoofer and general sound quality is excellent.

Just to clarify re. the storage pack - if you have the standard SE seats the underseat drawers are a very useful size and take a surprising amount of stuff. It's only if you have sports/S-Line seats or electric seat adjustment that the drawer size is too small.

I was offered a half-hour accompanied test drive and (as mentioned elsewhere) promptly headed for the hills. By the time the half hour was up I was miles away from the dealership. I then turned round and returned the pretty way.
The salesgirl was philosophical - she said that an order would more than offset the earache she'd get from the management. Just remember you're the customer who's threatening to spend circa 30K with them - tell 'em you either get a decent length test drive or you order from elsewhere. Works every time.

Re. motorised tailgate, you'll find the (aluminium) tailgate so light and well balanced that power assistance would be a tad redundant.

Edited by: Gromit

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have the Audi sound system, and it's "OK"!!. I don't think it is anything special, the bass is not particularly well controlled, and given some of the comments abouthow good the standard sound system is, I really wonder whether it was a worthwhile option. I suppose the only way to compare all 3 options (ie standard, Audi, and Bose) is to listen to the same soundtrack on all 3, and then form a view.Many years ago Iowned a chain of car audio stores, and it was really only when you got into spending big bucks (ie multiple amplifiers, top end speakers, equalisers, crossovers to filterfrequency ranges to the appropriate speakers) that you heard a difference (which basically boils down to crisp and controlled sound at normal volumes, rather than boomy bass).Finally, it all depends whattype of music you are listening, such as rock, pop, classical, light music etc.In the absence of an equaliser, then any sound system can usually only be set up for one kind of music, which means it isn't particularly good for any other sound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My local dealer (Wearside Audi) let me have the car for a full day so it might pay to call a few. As Gromit said you're looking to spend 30k on a car so they should be doing all they can to secure your business.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I were you, TT2Q3, I would have another peruse of what you get with the S-line and, if possible, compare the general appearance of the SE and S-line together. IMHO the embellishments alone are almost worth the extra.Also, just go along to your Audi dealer with the big, fat Evoque manual under your arm. I did and it had the desired effect!By the way, I forgot in my earlier post to say how good the self parking with camera is. I used it to get me in to a slot I would not have attempted manually - but perhaps that says more about my parking ability!. Seriously, though, it is very good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all again old and new for these reflective updates, especially the audio, I did not raise the under seat storage but it seems to be a hot tetchy topic here! Not so sure I would ever use them and if I did I'd probably forget what I had stored and when.

Whilst you will only ever get a guide approximate delivery timescale is 3 months the consensus of forum members recent experiences,

Thanks to all again

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hi Gromit. I have recently joined the forum but noticed you seem to give sound advise, so could you please advise me, my main requirement in a car is comfort plus good quality. I had a test drive in an S line Q3, the ride was a little firm, I suggested to the salesman that fitting damper control would be a good remedy, he said it was not required on the SE model, could you advise please. I intend to order a SE 177bhp with quattro and auto plus other things. Otherwise the car is just perfect for me. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts

Thanks for your kind words, John - I don't always get it right but try to give the sort of help that I myself benefited from when I was a newbie.

I would agree with the salesman - if comfort and quality are important to you I would definitely stick to the SE with standard seats and standard 17" wheels. Opinions vary a lot regarding sports seats and larger wheels but frankly you will not beat that combination for pure comfort. There would be no point in going for a more expensive firmer ride S-Line and fitting damper control to soften it again - it's a bit like chopping up a lifeboat to make a raft. Quality is uniformly excellent whichever variant you go for.

If you can, spend some time with the dealer trying sitting in the standard and sports seats, then make your own decision regarding which to go for.

Dealer stock Q3s tend to be diesel manual S-Lines (these are the fastest sellers) but if you can wait a bit it is well worthwhile ordering precisely the spec and colour you want - you'll only kick yourself frequently later if you compromise. Give some serious thought to interior colour - the titanium or beige trim colours make a huge difference and really lighten it up - all black can make it very dark (regardless of fashion!).

I hope this is useful - take as much notice of others' opinions as mine, make your own decision and good luck with the negotiation. Keep control of it - remember that if a salesman thinks he/she is going to lose the sale it doesn't half concentrate their greedy little minds....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi, welcome.

Had a read through the various comments, so not too much to add.

However, lots of comments from drivers on 17 inch wheels, I am driving an s-line on 18's and I have done 10k in my 5 months of owning. comfort wise the wheels are of little effect with an extra inch diameter you must remember that only moves the wheel half an inch of the ground (radius and all that!!) and the size of the wall is still enough to take bumps and pot holes, I don't have the lowered suspension though!! The tyre wall itself is enough to stop kerbing of the alloys, unless you pull up at atram stop in notts!

Seats, tried both, grommit is correct personal choice. However when try the sports seats of s-line don't forget to move your hand to the electric control panel in case someone has set the lumber control to crazy proportions,

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Much appreciated advise and re-assuring comments. I have decided on a white SE with standard beige seats, and 18 inch wheels, plus most of the extras you have. I am really looking forward to delivery, next year. I will keep monitoring the forum. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bambi said:
TT2Q3 said:
I don't know about other dealers, but when we had an accompanied test drive (fine for us - got the opportunity to discuss the car ) the salesman said that they had only got one demo Q3 as they were in short supply
After gentle persuasion we got a Q3 from a Friday to Monday. As the salesman handed over the key he was careful to remind us to "try to keep it below 350 miles per day " and " don't take it out of the country". Bless.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts