Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

Aftermarket Audio on my RS Q3

11K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  RSQ3John 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I am just in the process of kicking off an audio upgrade project on my Q3 (as my Audi warranty will soon be ending), and I am putting together a set of videos as I go along... they are not so professional and a bit rambling, but should have some pretty useful info in the end. Here are the 1st two videos, and more to come (installing when the weather is a bit warmer)

please subscribe if you would like notifications when there are new posts...

happy new year... got to be better than 2020 :(

#2 ·
Very interesting! Will be following.

I’m in the process of sorting my audio out also, nothing even close to the level you’re attacking it at but it will still hands down beat the Bose and be very affordable.

I’ve gone with Hertz DSK 165 components for the fronts powered by a discreet 4x65w RMS amplifier that sits behind the glovebox and plugs in between the factory stereo and harness, currently sourcing the same speakers for the rears when I figure outwhat size they are (assume 5.25) and have a little 8” Kenwood underseat subwoofer that is piggybacked from the amplifier.

Desperately need to get it set up but not too familiar with that sort of stuff, the amp has gain settings for the fronts and rears as well high pass filters, the sun has a frequency dial and phase select? and then the EQ settings on the car so if you have any tips I’m all ears!

Cheers and happy new year.

#3 ·
On the rear doors they are 6.5inch format.
I see from JL audio they recommend 80hz as a good staring point for the crossover for the sub. I will try this and 150hz and play about to see what sounds best.

regarding EQ,I learn that it’s best used sparingly, only treat bad peaks, and avoid trying to fix nulls/suck-outs. Also EQ introduces phase shifts, which i think is why I have never got on with in on my HiFi set up... so, use sparingly to reduce peaks only is the general thinking...

#6 ·
sm12five won't be back.

Found a picture from the Bose installation on one of my RSQ3s that you might mind interesting - this is where the Bose amp lives. RSQ3's don't have spare wheels so the foam boot liner is different.

Oh that is interesting, I have only just seen your post...I will check out this location as I have not made any hard decisions... could be that this is a much better location. Thanks v much... cheers alan

#12 · (Edited)
Ok, I have finished the installation of the aftermarket sound system on my RS Q3...what I would say is it’s taken me twice as long as I expected, probably because I was being careful and trying not to screw up my car... but it all works, no faults, windows open ect. I would say the sound is lovely from the start, but as often is the case with speakers at different locations, and especially the sub at a distance in the boot, there is to my ear a timing coherence issues and I expect weird car boxy frequency anomalies.. fortunately this is totally expected and with the VX800/8i amp, there are all the features I would ever need to resolve these problems (channel level adjustment, crossover adjustment, time alignment, all pass filters, and parametric eq on all channel)... this is the part I have been really looking forward to, but message from me now is these components sound great 🤪

this is my final Video, and also please remember to disconnect the battery at the negative terminal and with the ignition switched on (especially when re-connecting the battery, have the key in the ignition in the on position; its Airbag and related hygiene).

#14 ·
Hi John, I really do believe your timely suggestion of the amp location was really decisive, so again thanks. In therms of the hardware, it was a little over £3,000. To finish it off you need a PC, some free softare, decent usb soundcard and a calibrated microphone, and a laptop.

in terms of the hours.. well I started this install on pm of 25 March, since then it’s been 7 whole days+ 3 evening session... I thought it would take me ca 4days, but really 8 days ish... there was also the prep of the amp base, and crossover base, sourcing and prepping the wires, other bits and bobs since Xmas... I suppose you might put a couple of days in for this...

i cannot think what it would cost to actually pay someone to do this... i can imagine some many thousands...

#17 ·
Fantastic effort there and you clearly know your stuff when it comes to all things "Audio". I doubt us mere mortals would certainly be able to accomplish this so well done. 👍

I have not watched all of your videos but how much "better" is this now over the Bose kit... 3k and 8 days graft is not cheap... would love to hear a "before" / "after comparison" if you can at some point. (y)
On the plus side, you can get the Bose kit on flea Bay now to recoup some of the costs ;)

Reactions: Idiocratease
#19 ·
Ahh good point... I keep forgetting the Bose is still an option

#22 ·
Hello Alan,

Did you encounter any additional vibration noises from the upgraded sound system?

I have the basic Audi stereo system in my Q3 and after removing the door cards, there were a lot of vibrations from the plastic interior panel and the clips.

Did you install any sound deadening material?

Thanks,

Brandon

#23 ·
Hello Alan,

Did you encounter any additional vibration noises from the upgraded sound system?

I have the basic Audi stereo system in my Q3 and after removing the door cards, there were a lot of vibrations from the plastic interior panel and the clips.

Did you install any sound deadening material?

Thanks,

Brandon
Hi Brandon, not at all, but that reminds me that I shot a bit of video addressing this as part of the install... I have been able to crank up the volume to blowing the head giblet levels. ...here it is..

#29 ·
After all that good measuring stuff, the listening is telling me more than the measurements have... I am further working on the sub integration and (as is more normal) putting a gap between the crossover frequencies (rather than overlap as in the video)... interestingly this is resolving issues that I had treated with PEQ, and so it may be that no EQ and better sub vs mid woofers is a more effective solution.... a learning experience 😅

#30 · (Edited)
some significant changes to the set up. eliminated Bose centre speaker, went active crossover on front speaker system. optimised subwoofer (blocking bass reflex and PEQ). Re worked time alignment using impulse response data.

re focused attention on subwoofer integration at cross over frequency, using audible of phase cancellation (method 80Hz sine wave, and phase inversion)...

P.S. in the notes is worth reading :)

#31 · (Edited)
I am just following up on the comment/question I raised in the response above “it’s a bit early I to be sure, and I am just starting to line out the system, but am hearing, when I switch it in, the Gala system having an effect on the sound at speed... I wonder if anyone knows the ins and outs of this, and I think it’s doing speed dependent DSP, I.e. much more than volume adjustment...”

I have now done some measurements on the frequency response vs volume of the Delphi head unit I have... indeed there does appear to be some volume dependant ’loudness‘ feature in play. So at low volumes the treble and base are boosed more, but as the volume increases, the treble and bass are less boosted. There is also a hump, which leads to attenuation in the 2-3 Hz region. This matches up quite well with the most sensitive part of human hearing (see Fletcher Munson Curve). So, clearly volume change, and hence GALA is doing more than just moving the volume up and down, and is doing DSP, in part to adapt the volume perception in line with the ears equal loudness perception.

I have plotted below the frequency response of the head unit with pink noise (should be flat) at Vol. 5, 10, 15 and 20. And annotated this along with the Fletcher Munson equal loudness curves... clearly similar.

I am actually quite pleased that this volume dependant adaption is because it explains some of the trouble I have been having getting balance and gain structure right... I now know what to do, which is to match the gain structure to the curve changes (volume in range e.g. 5- 15) so that the playing volume is right to my taste needs... the limitation is of course I have only 10 clicks on the volume knob for my useable range, but hey, the alternative is using the vx800/8i external volume control which I don’t want to do...

So, lots of fun and learning, but I thought I would also share this interesting learning: GALA being more than just volume adjustment and in fact being also DSP 😅

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.