Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just swapped my q3 for a q3 sline quatro and its got a filler for adblue next to the diesel nozzle.never used this before so not sure what it is or what to do with it,i generally use redex diesel additive and wondered if its ok to continue this or do i need to buy the adblue.also how much and how often would i need to use it.thanks if anyone can answer this. dave 49

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
You'll find you need to top up the Adblue tank about every 4000 - 5000 miles. The MMI will tell you you're getting low about 1500 miles before it runs out so you get ample warning, but don't leave it as when it runs out the car stops. The cheapest source of Adblue found so far is Morrisons but you can get it at Halfords, most garages and petrol station forecourts and some even have Adblue filling facilities. As a last resort an Audi (or indeed any) main dealer will fill it for you but it's one **** of an expensive option.

Oh, and one other thing... don't fer krissakes put Redex in the Adblue tank!!! It really wouldn't end well... :censored:

·
Registered
173 Posts
just swapped my q3 for a q3 sline quatro and its got a filler for adblue next to the diesel nozzle.never used this before so not sure what it is or what to do with it,i generally use redex diesel additive and wondered if its ok to continue this or do i need to buy the adblue.also how much and how often would i need to use it.thanks if anyone can answer this. dave 49
Hi,
Your car requires adblue.
You buy it, online is cheapest, from Audi is very expensive.
Pour it in to the adblue nozzle, not the diesel nozzle.
The car will tell you when you are running low on adblue.
I suppose you can continue to use a fuel additive, never had the need in my previous diesel Audi, perhaps stay away from Supermarket fuel would be better and make sure you give the car a good long run from time to time up and down the rev range.
;)

Mike

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Redex - now that's a blast from the blast. Snake Oil category...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll find you need to top up the Adblue tank about every 4000 - 5000 miles. The MMI will tell you you're getting low about 1500 miles before it runs out so you get ample warning, but don't leave it as when it runs out the car stops. The cheapest source of Adblue found so far is Morrisons but you can get it at Halfords, most garages and petrol station forecourts and some even have Adblue filling facilities. As a last resort an Audi (or indeed any) main dealer will fill it for you but it's one **** of an expensive option.

Oh, and one other thing... don't fer krissakes put Redex in the Adblue tank!!! It really wouldn't end well... :censored:
thanks ive seen it at morrisons.ill get some and top it up.do you think i could use the redex as well (straight in the tank) as i have quite a few bottles from my last q3.cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,
Your car requires adblue.
You buy it, online is cheapest, from Audi is very expensive.
Pour it in to the adblue nozzle, not the diesel nozzle.
The car will tell you when you are running low on adblue.
I suppose you can continue to use a fuel additive, never had the need in my previous diesel Audi, perhaps stay away from Supermarket fuel would be better and make sure you give the car a good long run from time to time up and down the rev range.
;)

Mike
thanks mike.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
There's no harm in using Redex but I agree with John - snake oil. Here is an interesting discussion on another Audi owners club site. food for thought?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
There's no harm in using Redex but I agree with John - snake oil. Here is an interesting discussion on another Audi owners club site. food for thought?
Thanks Gromit - food for thought. I need that ladder to get back onto the fence now...:)

Reactions: Flash

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don’t just randomly top up the AdBlue wait until it tells you. You need to put in a minimal amount, around 5l for it to register. Once you have topped up, turn the ignition on, but don’t start the engine, wait 30 seconds and start. The countdown warning will disappear.
by far the cheapest option is a forecourt pump, but there are not that many around. Seems to be mainly shell or BP forecourts. Pump price is about 50 to 55p a litre, and you buy exactly what you need. Prebottled is around 90p to £1.50 a litre, and you either have too much or too little. Plus it stinks if you spill any!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Someone on the forum pointed me towards a small battery driven pump, it is brilliant and costs very little. I bought adblue in 20l drums online, this little device was just the job. Oh, by the way try not to spill any on bodywork, if you do immediately clean off with with lots of water.

Mike

Reactions: Flash

·
Registered
95 Posts
Coincidentally the AdBlue message popped up on the dash today. Was heading past the garage with a pump anyway, so dropped in and filled up. Price is now 59.9p a litre and full
Fill up was just over a fiver and no mess

·
Registered
173 Posts
Coincidentally the AdBlue message popped up on the dash today. Was heading past the garage with a pump anyway, so dropped in and filled up. Price is now 59.9p a litre and full
Fill up was just over a fiver and no mess
That is a HUGE leap in price since I was buying it around New Year, I reckon i was paying around 19p/l online

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts