Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 603 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Q3 was last serviced the receptionist was telling me about the A6 ultra and the fact that it costs about £100 to top up with Adblue. She went on to say that it is this additive that improves the fuel consumption and emissions.

So I was looking at the Q3 and saw that the new 184BHP engine with Adblue is about 5mpg better off than the current 177 bhp model which got me wondering. Is it cost effective?

Apparently Adblue is quite a hazardous substance that is injected into the exhaust system to clean up the emissions. Not sure how big the tank is, but apparently it only needs filling up when serviced. A warning light warns you if it is running low.

So, can any of you technically minded folk throw any light on this?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
One of the ways current diesel engines reduce NOx emissions is to run with retarded injection timing for cooler combustion (they also need EGR) but this has the negative effect of reducing engine efficiency.The use of AdBlue as part of an SCR system - http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/researchdevelopment/a/scr.htm is a chemical process for reducing NOX. It's expensive stuff with a dosing rate of approx 1 -2% of fuel consumption. The plus point is it allows the engine to be re-tuned for efficiency.The process is complex with lots of 'check' systems to prevent owners overriding itor dilutingthe AdBlue -

Cheers Spike

·
Super Moderator
5,497 Posts
Strewth! It must be one **** of a fuel saver to be worth laying out £100 per service to top up. If it's getting necessary to go to those lengths you might as well get a petrol engine in the first place.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Probably got something to do with achieving Euro 6 rating.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I think things are complicated enough as it is.... I dont need the extra worry of Adblue....

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
It is more to do with EU6 diesel emissions than anything else, there have been quite a few problems I have seen on MB forums with the Adblue additives.
Basically it smells like p155 (its a Urea) but is a helluva lot more expensive!
Where I worked the proto workshop (it was early days) guys hated having to do anything regarding the tanks and systems, really is vile stuff.
I had no idea the new Q3 required it as its quite a clean diesel at the moment, I would certainly avoid if possible a car using the system (petrol do not need it).

·
Super Moderator
5,497 Posts
AdBlue sounds ike Watneys bitter (and probably smells like it, too). They used to say "Don't take the pi55 out of Watneys - there'd be nothing left."

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
How dare you denigrate Watneys! Red Barrel was er what the word I am looking for yep that the word rubbish (Ex Watneys Mann technical service).

·
Registered
301 Posts
It turns out my son say i am always taking the Pizz so as it turns out i can pee in my own tank and save a fortune.
Not sure if he is being nasty to me.
The Pisst Pest

·
Registered
68 Posts
My local garage sells 10 litres for £12. Hardly expensive. But I guess if it's poured in by an Audi technician you have to pay £80 on top... Then add VAT!

·
Super Moderator
5,497 Posts
Precisely, but what your local garage sells for the customer to pour in himself is a different product.....

....it's called AdYerOwnFrigginBlue, I think.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I am sure that cannot be the official Audi stuff though at that cost...........probably really is the garage owners p155

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Saves on the water bill I suppose....

·
Registered
130 Posts
AdBlue is certainly in the new FL TDI 184 Q3. When I opened the filler cap there it was.
The sales person told me that it would not need topping up between Longlife servicing & that topping up the Urea (AdBlue) tank was now part of the TDi184 servicing schedule, although I have not checked this out yet but searching around the internet plenty of people top the system up themselves.Its a big No No to run out of this stuff as the engine won't restart without Audi intervention according to the handbook.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 184 going to check handbook now

·
Registered
630 Posts
What would happen if one were just to put water in there? I'm sure the car can't tell what's in the tank, only that something is, but would it affect how the car runs?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've been told that this expensive cow piss reduces the NOx emissions so if any other than this the emissions would increase and a sensor would stop the engine. Having nothing in this tank also stops the engine, but you can buy DEF from most motoring outlets and use theadapted applicator from your first purchase of adblue. Check on you tube there's plenty on it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Sounds like you are forced to put expensive juice into two holes now instead of one.
I suppose you can purchase your own and put it in if it meets Audi standards rather than swallow their £100 charge at the service then?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Halfords are selling their own brand of Adblue now, and it's a lot cheaper.

Usually the cars ECU is set up to give you a warning your low on Adblue and something like 5 or 6 starts before it restricts starting altogether, hopefully Audi have implemented the same?

Stinky Urea.......another reason my next will be a Petrol powered conveyance of some kind

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dealer quoted £40 to top up, but why should I trust them when they have failed me on everything else!
What's the word on the block about obtaining this magic stuff elsewhere?

1 - 20 of 603 Posts