Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered a Q3 on the 24th of June, and my quoted delivery month was November, however I still don't know if my car was built and neither does the dealer.

It's a fairly standard config; 35 TFSI comfort and sound, though I did also add the flat bottom steering wheel and extended ambient lighting. About 2 months after placing the order we got a build week of 38, that came and went though and the build week was delayed to week 41. Theoretically that means my car should have been built over a month ago, but so far there's been nothing to confirm that. My dealer says they have no updates on the car, and I've even messaged Audi on Facebook who said their order tracker is down and they will get back to me when it's back online.

In the meantime I'm still driving my Seat Leon around, but because I live within London and it's a 2014 diesel, I'm paying the ULEZ fee every time I leave my house. I've already wasted the equivalent of a whole months payments on the new car, on paying the ULEZ fees. At this point I'm wondering if I'll even see the car this year, as most of the time there is a month between build and delivery. If the car hasn't been built yet, then I'll definitely be getting it in the new year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Obieff. My car was also confirmed for build week 41 and I had confirmation via a screen shot from the dealer that the car moved to status “in production” that week. Over a month gone and the status is still in production which I think is better than others I have seen where the build week has been and gone but status is sat at “commission with factory”. I also had a text from Audi UK a week or so ago saying “Your order is on the production line, however it is taking a little longer than expected due to the shortage of semiconductor chips.”

My dealership has said that they’ve got a number of new cars with the same build status situation. Hopefully the hold of production of VAG EVs last week means they’re re-routing some chips to the ICE factories to get some orders moving along but I think I’m being too optimistic there!

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
It is also possible that they are not releasing vehicles from production because of a known, and serious software bug that causes the MMI to constantly re-boot - only affects MY 2021 vehicles, I've read elsewhere that the A3 is also afflicted. The Q3 owners on the forum with cars that have the issue have been told 'End of November for a fix'.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It’s the MY22 cars with MIB3 MMI (no Sim or SD card slots) that seem to be giving some people problems.
Mines a MY22 but I haven’t had any issues so far🤞🤞
MY22 started around June/July I think, 10th digit of VIN will identify it, MY22 is N, MY21 was M.

Reactions: Rico-RS

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car was also confirmed for build week 41 and I had confirmation via a screen shot from the dealer that the car moved to status “in production” that week.
Ah that sucks. Glad to see I'm not alone. Did you just ask your dealer for a screenshot or did they volunteer that themselves? My dealer hasn't actually told me what the status of my car is so I'll ask them for a screenshot.

Hopefully the hold of production of VAG EVs last week means they’re re-routing some chips to the ICE factories to get some orders moving along but I think I’m being too optimistic there!
I doubt that will help much, most IC Chips are designed "or died" to work in a single circuit. If they were made for specific EVs, they'll probably only work in those EVs going forward. What it might help with is re-allocating any existing orders for IC chips from an EV die to a Q3 die, but they'd still need to be produced and shipped from the factory they are made at

It is also possible that they are not releasing vehicles from production because of a known, and serious software bug that causes the MMI to constantly re-boot - only affects MY 2021 vehicles, I've read elsewhere that the A3 is also afflicted. The Q3 owners on the forum with cars that have the issue have been told 'End of November for a fix'.
I'd seen some stuff about this on the forum, but hadn't realised it was this severe. Surely they'd ship the cars and do an over the air "OTA" update for them rather than keep them waiting for what is essentially software. With how long shipping takes, you may even have the bug fixed before it is delivered to customers.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
It's serious - there are owners here contemplating rejecting their cars. Imagine driving down the road and losing the MMI display - no navigation, no phone - nothing.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Or you could say that is bliss.

Actually, it is really annoying, sad and disappointing for you guys. You have my sympathy.

The only two cars I ever bought new were in stock and a month’s wait. After that we bought 6 month old dealer cars…now more into 3 year + as our mileage plummets to less than 5k a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's serious - there are owners here contemplating rejecting their cars. Imagine driving down the road and losing the MMI display - no navigation, no phone - nothing.
That sounds quite dangerous, does that mean you don't have a speedometer either?

Actually, it is really annoying, sad and disappointing for you guys. You have my sympathy.
The worst thing is I actually wasn't looking at upgrading the car this year. I purely had to replace my existing car because of ULEZ, which I would have happily driven for another 3 years. The reason I went for the Q3, was futureproofing for 2 years down the line when me and the wife are planning on having a baby. I was thinking get the hassle of a new car over with now, rather than buy something and sell it again in another 2 years. Now because I live right on the boundary of the ULEZ zone, I have to pay £12.50 for the privilege of leaving my driveway.

·
Registered
2021 RSQ3 Sportback Sport Edition, Daytona Grey, C&S pack, red calipers.
67 Posts
It’s the MY22 cars with MIB3 MMI (no Sim or SD card slots) that seem to be giving some people problems.
Mines a MY22 but I haven’t had any issues so far🤞🤞
MY22 started around June/July I think, 10th digit of VIN will identify it, MY22 is N, MY21 was M.
4 months in with my MY22 RSQ3 and thankfully no issues to report.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ordered my black edition in June and was told my build date was May 22 then 2 weeks later it changed to March so hopefully it will keep pushing, it's sad case having to wait for these cars to be built and I hate my A1 with its MMI issues Audi = love & hate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered my black edition in June and was told my build date was May 22 then 2 weeks later it changed to March so hopefully it will keep pushing
Are you in the UK? An 11 Month wait is ridiculous, even now the quote is about 6 months for a new order. I've heard that dealerships have a quota on how many cars they can order of each model, so sometimes they take orders for cars, but don't place the order with the factory until much later. I would hate it if that was the case. Even March seems ridiculously long for a new order

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you in the UK? An 11 Month wait is ridiculous, even now the quote is about 6 months for a new order. I've heard that dealerships have a quota on how many cars they can order of each model, so sometimes they take orders for cars, but don't place the order with the factory until much later. I would hate it if that was the case. Even March seems ridiculously long for a new order
Yes i am ordered it june 24th from watford Audi dont know why but people with black editions seem to have to wait for there car for much longer i have told the salesman if theres any cancellations to let me know , i am very irritated now , so i hope its worth the wait .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i am ordered it june 24th from watford Audi dont know why but people with black editions seem to have to wait for there car for much longer i have told the salesman if theres any cancellations to let me know , i am very irritated now , so i hope its worth the wait .
Maybe it was the engine spec, which one have you ordered? When I was ordering I was between the Black Edition and S Line, but they both had the same lead time. I went with the 35TFSI so maybe that was a factor in the speed?

Watford Audi is Group1 which is the same dealership network I ordered from, strange that they'd have such vastly different lead times. Did they indicate it was a long wait from the start, and did you get quotes from other dealers too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I ordered 35TfSi glacier white and light pack I know people who have had S Lines delivered in 3 months with the same spec so i dnt know what the hold up is unless there changing the cosmetics on the outside of the black edition for facelift

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I ordered 35TfSi glacier white and light pack I know people who have had S Lines delivered in 3 months with the same spec so i dnt know what the hold up is unless there changing the cosmetics on the outside of the black edition for facelift
I don't have any proof, but it certainly seems like your dealership have given you the run around. I would query with your dealership for exact dates they placed the order with the factory, as your spec is very similar to mine. I was speaking to my dealer about recent deliveries, they just delivered a q3 black edition 35 tfsi where the order was placed a few weeks before mine in early June. I highly doubt there's much of a difference between your car and any other black edition.

For what it's worth, I also took the light pack, maybe that is part of the hold up with my delivery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for that information , I might have to do some research myself I did think it was odd myself there's not alot of spec on the car to warrant such long lead times well they will be getting a earful off me very soon . When's your car due

·
Registered
338 Posts
It may be worth sharing my experience with you all in an attempt to take the heat out of everybody's frustration. Its a basic fact that all car makers are still hampered by the 'chip shortage' and will be for a long time to come.
For example, in my wife's case her Golf 8 R had only a couple of factory additions but because a small component required for the reversing camera was absent, she had to wait 9+ months. I'm afraid extended delivery times are now the norm and 6 months is not exceptional today. I do not think giving the dealer 'an earful' will result in a quicker delivery, and if you cancel, the dealership know they have a high chance of selling your cancelled order PDQ.

I do not believe there is any underhand activity going on behind the scenes after the order has been placed. I have no hard proof of this but car makers need to make cars to survive and at the same time keep customers happy. In all the difficulties makers face I can understand for example parts being allocated sooner to a higher margin car than a car lower down the ladder at the same time striking a balance between cust satisfaction and revenue.
In my own case I ordered another RSQ3 in Aug with an expectation of a Mar '22 delivery, there are very few factory additions . If the supply situation deteriorates then it will come later, on the other hand if in the unlikely event it improves well who knows. It's a waiting game and I don't think any dealer knows what the status is on any car until he checks his system that morning.
I am not connected with the motor trade, only another keen customer who has bought a couple of new cars during the 'shortage.
Good Luck and if you can, relax and take a longer look at the whole, no-one is actively trying to delay deliveries.

Mike

Reactions: JHOWELLS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Point taken I understand your view but I have worked for Mercedes-Benz for 22 years so by now I think I know how a dealership works and runs because I have worked in a lot of them, and I do know certain customers do get priority over others, even motability customers I've known sales managers to push there cars further just to make another customer happy so I think I am in my right to make a complaint or enquire where my vehicle is and also people who do moan or make a fuss so to speak always get there way...believe me 👌🏻

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did think it was odd myself there's not alot of spec on the car to warrant such long lead times. When's your car due
So my exact spec is a 35 TFSI S Line C+S in Daytona Grey. I optioned the extended ambient lighting and the flat bottom wheel. My quote was for delivery in 5 months, which brings us to November. A month delay is understandable in the current climate of the chip shortage. My only concern is that your spec is very similar to mine, your lead time should have been the similar to mine, unless you had some additional options which required further chips. Do you have another car that you're using at the moment?

For example, in my wife's case her Golf 8 R had only a couple of factory additions but because a small component required for the reversing camera was absent, she had to wait 9+ months. I'm afraid extended delivery times are now the norm and 6 months is not exceptional today. I do not think giving the dealer 'an earful' will result in a quicker delivery, and if you cancel, the dealership know they have a high chance of selling your cancelled order PDQ.
Yes that's totally understandable, but from what I gather Jamjam was told it was an 11 month wait from the start, and other cars with the same spec have already been delivered since then. It may be that there was an option that the dealer knew would cause a delay, but from my experience, the dealers only know which options are available/not available (such as the panoramic sun roof) rather than which components are causing delays. When I called 5 different audi dealerships back in June, they all said it's a 5 month wait for a factory order, except for Audi Epsom who said they have factory orders they have placed which they can modify (there wait was 3 months). 11 seems very excessive

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi obieff , basically I had a citycarver and I' have nothing but problems from new it's been into audi 11 times so I complained to Audi and my lease company and they agreed to cancel contract so I ordered the Q3 in June and they said keep my car till the new one arrives and I agreed but since then my car has been in again twice so now I am fuming and just want my new car .Also I was originally told like yourself November December and this why I'm a bit irritated cause they know the problems I am having so I'm going to give the dealership a call and see where this car is., on my new car it's a black edition with light pack .Quick update just spoke to the sales manager and my cars being built in week 2 so should be here for March dnt know whether to be happy or sad

1 - 20 of 25 Posts