Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a fair bit of deliberation looking at options for winter tyres I’ve got for the RS including spare wheels (very expensive) I realised you can actually get 21” winter tyres for the existing wheels.
I’ve got a tyre machine and balancer (bought together with mates for road bike tyre changes mainly) but wasn’t too sure about tackling the 21”s until a puncture forced my hand.
End result was tyre was actually surprisingly easy to change (after repair) and just fitted on tyre changer.

This got me thinking about winter tyres so now fitted full set of Conti WinterContact😀😀
Tread looks a much safer bet for winter, especially for up here in the Highlands
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I would be interested to hear your opinion on tyre noise when driving in the dry/partially wet. My experience of Nokian all weather tyres is that they work very well in all conditions but they are very noisy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will be interesting to see how much noisier they are, I’ll keep you posted.
The summer/original continentals are ContiSilent with the foam noise damping inside so will be a direct comparison with equivalent continental winters without the foam.
White Automotive tire Light Tire Tread

Reactions: Malph

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Just for the sake of comparison here’s a picture of the summer/original tyre with 3k miles on it next to the winter😳

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
The 20" Bridgestone Potenza S005 that came on mine had that same 3-parts-worn-out-look when new, yours are mil or so off the wear markers. I'm absolutely convinced that the OEM tyres supplied on new cars have less tread depth than aftermarket rubber....probably supplied at greatly reduced prices.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Interesting theory. It would not surprise me. What about other consumables like brake discs and pads and on some Audi's the clutch. Maybe we should get a rebate.

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
...well the OEM disc pads are exceedingly abrasive as the compound has flakes of steel in it which is waaay harder than the grey iron discs. Totally unnecessary with modern ceramic compound pads being available.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The 20" Bridgestone Potenza S005 that came on mine had that same 3-parts-worn-out-look when new, yours are mil or so off the wear markers. I'm absolutely convinced that the OEM tyres supplied on new cars have less tread depth than aftermarket rubber....probably supplied at greatly reduced prices.
Just checked and picture is a bit deceptive, measuring 5.8-6mm on tread and 4.4mm on wear bar so 4.4mm legal use remaining (that’s a front one).
I think they are just shy of 8mm new so probably 2mm worn in 3k miles with another 6k in them??
With my driving(ahem😳😜) up here where dual carriageways are near nonexistent never mind motorways that’s not too unusual.
I used to go through front tyres on my A3 170tdi quicker than that (lease car admittedly) so doesn’t seem to outrageous to me🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
...well the OEM disc pads are exceedingly abrasive as the compound has flakes of steel in it which is waaay harder than the grey iron discs. Totally unnecessary with modern ceramic compound pads being available.
Been meaning to ask but how are the Redstuff pads getting on your F3 RSQ3John?
As usual with Audi discs don’t look great with original pads but checking EBC they don’t recommend Redstuff for the RS or SUV in general🤷‍♂️
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
The Redstuffs are doing a great job, probably been in for 10,000 miles.

Back on 14th Jan of this year I bought them direct from EBC:

DP32295C - EBC Redstuff 3000 Series Sport Brake Pad Set
£49.73​
1​
£49.73​
DP32277C - EBC Redstuff 3000 Series Sport Brake Pad Set
£92.48​
1​
£92.48​

Yeah - EBC would have us fit Yellowstuffs, the harder pad is not needed as the Reds are perfect - it's actually the same front pad as the B9 RS4 (which was also a recipient).

The RS was washed today so the discs are not 'clean' when I put it back in the garage earlier - normally pretty smooth, you can see the refection of the wheel spokes on the disc surface.

Automotive lighting Hood Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Reactions: Beanjunior
1 - 10 of 10 Posts