Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seen several ingenious solutions to the missing net in the boot recess posted in other areas of these hallowed portals, I thought I'd have a go myself...

Having searched long and hard on t'Interwebs for retaining nets (I know, I know - I definitely need to get out more) I came across this little gem at http://www.nets4you.com/vehicle-nets/elasticated-frame-net-dark-blue-30cm-x-19-5cm-1603961546.html

The length of the frame is exactly the same as the base of the panel containing the recess, and as it was only £14.99 including carriage & VAT it was worth a punt and I ordered one.

It arrived yesterday and I set about fitting it this afternoon. I first removed the panel from the car and offered the net up to the recess - sure enough, the base was the perfect length but the sides needed shaping to fit the sides of the recess. Gradually bending them between my fingers I was able to get the angle right of the RH side, then the LH side which includes a curve in depth as well as a slant to the right.

Having got the shape right I got hold of six 1/2" by 6 countersunk self-tapping screws and screwed the net to the panel - first putting two screws into the loops at the top of each side to position it, then spacing out the four supplied clips so that they not only held the frame in place but kept the net properly spaced out (man!) as well. N.B.: Don't pre-drill the holes - let the screws make their own way in, and don't over-tighten them once in firmly.

The end result frankly surprised me - it has gone together so well that I thought some of you fellow Q3 addicts might benefit from it. It only took me an hour from start to finish and I found it pretty easy to do.

See what you think...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Superb - yet again, Gromit leads and, I for one, confidently follow. It looks really good so I've added my thanks above.
Edited by: erisaman

·
Registered
65 Posts
Excellent. And how much does Audi charge for the same??

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Audi only supply a complete replacement panel with a recessed net fitted. This costs something like £100 (£85.00+VAT I think) and because the net is recessed it pretty much halves the storage capacity of it.

Compared with that, £14.99 plus a quid or two for a small pack of screws (if you haven't already got them lying around somewhere) and less than an hour's work gets you a decent looking solution that utilises the full capacity of the recess.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can also get it from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/30cm-19-5cm-Elasticated-Framed-Net/dp/B00353VI7S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_4

Edited by: Gromit

·
Registered
86 Posts
WOW, this is gonna be one of the first mods i do, already ordered some along with LED bulbs for glove box and boot, roll on the 26th

·
Registered
563 Posts
Is the net blue ?It looks it from the photos.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah i thought that, so when mine arrive i`m gonna soak em in some black dye and wash them before fitting to get that blacker look.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gromit said:
Compared with that, £14.99 plus a quid or two for a small pack of screws (if you haven't already got them lying around somewhere) and less than an hour's work gets you a decent looking solution that utilises the full capacity of the recess.
An hour? Fitted in 15 minutes flat!

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I did stop for coffee halfway through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bought something similar from Amazon cost £2.06, free p&p. Not a screw in but a net with hooks which I have attached quite easily. Got this tip from somewhere else in this forum.Look up Silverline Cargo Net 300 x 300 on Amazon, I see it is now priced at £2.27.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Any chance of some photos Dodger1

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
86 Posts
They look good but i still think the screw on one looks best, just need to dye the netting black. Will post an update once it`s fitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi gromit the net in the boot looks great, do you think it would work as well on the back of the drivers and passenger seats cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The problem would be fixing them to an upholstered surface - there'd be nowhere for the screws to get a grip. This is why I went for the Storage option - it gave me rear seat nets and storage drawers under the front seats which are invaluable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
steveb said:
Hi gromit the net in the boot looks great, do you think it would work as well on the back of the drivers and passenger seats cheers
Not trying to put you off but the seats have air bags and lumber supports and wiring looms in them.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Steve, I've since had a close look at my seat backing panels and if they're essentially the same as mine (I already have Audi nets fitted) they have a rigid plastic centre that I think would take short self-tapping screws of the type I used with my luggage net.

If that's the case have a look at framed nets on the nets4u website and see if there are any of the right size and colour. If so, give it a whirl.

DISCLAIMER: this advice does not in any way recommend this course of action - if it goes wrong, you're on your own mate. No nets were harmed during the making of this thread. May contain nuts.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts