FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the new Audi Q3 Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

Register and say hello and hopefully we'll grow into a large bunch of Q3 owners and enthusiasts.

Please post pictures of your Q3 in our Audi Q3 Gallery. You can read all the latest Audi Q3 News on our main website.

Parcel shelf locating trim splitting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Karlos1674 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlos1674 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 12:27pm
I’ll be letting my local dealership know as they are unaware of this happening anywhere else....... 🙄
Sponsored Links

Hitman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 7:55pm
Just checked mine & both sides are cracked same as in photo .my warranty runs out in 3 days so back to dealers sharpish .thanks for posting
Audi q3 184 tdi s line plus s tronic
Floret silver with black pack
Hill start assist ,hot seats ,ambient lighting
Hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2018 at 11:12pm
Hmm better check mine pretty sharpish as well I think
2015-15 (MY2016) RSQ3 Misano/Titanium, Competition Titanium Wheels, Panoramic Sunroof, LED Interior Light Pack, BOSE, Tech Pack, Cruise
Snapshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snapshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 8:02pm
GRRR! Technician at Swinedon Audi said it was mechanical damage due to someone leaning on the shelf so not covered. They won't have heard the last of this. Anyone else had any joy getting the trim replaced?
Q3 2.0 TDI 150PS SE Quattro S Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Alcantara/leather in Rock Grey, advanced key, Comfort Pack, Colour DIS, folding mirrors, privacy glass, non-smoking pack
Gas Q3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gas Q3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 10:59am
That appears at face value an extremely weak and convenient hypothesis put forward by the technician.

I would ask what science is behind this pet theory other than the desire for it not to be Audi's responsibility.

Also on the off chance he has a case are there any load limit instructions or warnings with regard to usage of the cover in the handbook?

The cover itself is quite flimsy and of low mass. The locating trim is considerably more rigid in able to support the cover - otherwise it would collapse be not fit for purpose.

Having said this if the technician is right then I would expect to see permanent creasing or damage to the cover as evidence of excessive weight being applied.

Looking at the pictures and from memory of the cover (my Q3 is still in transit), My theory is that a more likely cause is that the cover is held in place under spring tension against the trim panel and over time being pulled in and out exerts a fatigue type stress against the contact point, coupled by a shock, as it relocates in the groove and “bites” into the material. If this, over time were to cause wear severe enough to breech the initial hard layer of the trim it will migrate as a crack through layers underneath. If correct, this would suggest a design flaw in material selection or strength.

In addition if you haven’t leant on the parcel shelf he is effectively calling you a liar which again is not something to be happy about! The opposite to “the customer is always right” seems to apply to the motor industry.

Personally I would escalate this through the service manager, dealer principle, Audi Customer services and if that fails name and shame via Autoexpress and / or Honest John

I wish you the best of luck in getting a fair resolution - personally I have been fortunate to have had a very receptive Service Manager at my local Audi dealer when I have had any issues - sadly from reading on here I know this isn’t always the case.
spike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Snapshot Snapshot wrote:

GRRR! Technician at Swinedon Audi said it was mechanical damage due to someone leaning on the shelf so not covered. They won't have heard the last of this. Anyone else had any joy getting the trim replaced?

I'm guessing that until it becomes a recognised fault, approval from Audi to fund a warranty repair will not be forthcoming. It may help if other Club members share their Reg numbers, and photographs if possible. then submit the list to their respective Audi dealers, copying customer services.
Nothing speeds up the process faster than being bombarded with documented evidence from several different sources
It's quite possible there are dozens of similar failures but owners have just not spotted or reported them.

Wonder if  the Forum has a simple process to PM all owners and ask them to check their cars

Cheers  Spike
2012 Silver SE TDi 177 S-Tronic. Pan Roof, Comfort Pack, Sports cloth seats, Xenon Light Pack, SD Sat Nav, Hill Hold, Spacesaver Spare
Gromit View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:42am
Originally posted by spike spike wrote:

Wonder if  the Forum has a simple process to PM all owners and ask them to check their cars
Nope, sorry Spike - no such facility on this forum platform.  I guess posting something on the forum is as near as you'll get.

Q3 SE TFSI 170bhp S-Tronic, Cobalt Blue/Titanium Grey interior, SD SAT/NAV, Power folding mirrors, Parking Plus+Park Assist, LED & storage packages, seated heats & other goodies. Collected 27/06/13.
snapianq3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snapianq3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:06am
When I read the first post on this subject I went out and checked. Car is coming up for two years but no cracking yet. I'll be keeping an eye on the trim. I will mention it when the car goes in for its first service.
2.0TDI Quattro S Line, Daytona Grey, heated seats and cruise control,
Hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:35am
Checked mine (3 years old on 1st June) and no sign of any splitting or cracking Thumbs Up
2015-15 (MY2016) RSQ3 Misano/Titanium, Competition Titanium Wheels, Panoramic Sunroof, LED Interior Light Pack, BOSE, Tech Pack, Cruise
ashfinlayson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashfinlayson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:23am
The dealer will always make out that they have never seen the issue before because they know that if you know it's a common fault, they will have no choice but to repair it. To make out that the break has occurred due to misuse is utter nonsense, it's made out of a poor quality material and anyone that removes their parcel shelf from time to time will have the same problem eventually. It is however an easy fix though with a bit of 2 part epoxy and the end result should be stronger than the original. The mk2 TT suffers the same weak point at the parcel shelf bracket and I've repaired this on both of them. 
The Mrs Q3 TDI 177, Quattro, Manual, Sline Plus, Cobalt Blue
& My TTS Black Edition, Manual, Misano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic