FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the new Audi Q3 Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

Register and say hello and hopefully we'll grow into a large bunch of Q3 owners and enthusiasts.

Please post pictures of your Q3 in our Audi Q3 Gallery. You can read all the latest Audi Q3 News on our main website.

New Q3 Owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
VSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Q3 Owner
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:39am
Hi All,  Just order my new Audi Q3 2.0TDI Black Edition.  Very excited, but have to wait until July for delivery.

I stumbled across the My Audi app and saw that you can check things like if your car is locked or not, fuel usage and location amongst other things.  Can anyone tell me if this works on the Q3 (no tech pack added) or not.  I wasn't informed of it from the dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

Q3 Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Q3 Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:03am
Hi VSS Welcome to the club. You'll love the Q3

I don't believe the app works with the current Q3, that may change with the new model though
2017 Q3 1.4 CoD S line edition, Shell White, Black Styling Pack, LED headlights, Power tailgate, tinted windows
RSQ3John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSQ3John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:08am
Good morning and welcome to the board. The Black edition has a good spec too.

If you can afford it then I'd wholeheartedly recommend the tech pack. I see you have ordered a diesel so Q3 so presumably doing a relatively high mileage?   The Tech pack includes 'Connect' which is Google Map overlays and real time Google traffic data that can literally give you chunks of your life back rather than sitting in queues on motorways etc.

I simply wouldn't buy an Audi without it.

The standard SD sat nav is 'OK', but basic and crude in comparison. The SD version uses a low resolution screen and thus lacks all the hardware to do Video playback via an SD card or play DVDs too.

As for the MyAudi App - it looks smart but basically provides the same features as the web browser version, so service history, car specification, cost, mileage trackers and if you have the tech pack then the ability to send nav destinations to the car.

The vehicle location feature isn't available - I suspect because the Q3 uses the previous generation of in-car tech without the integrated SIM card.   
RSQ3, MY2016, Sepang Blue/black styling pack, diamond stitch seats, lunar silver headliner, carbon Atlas inlays, Bose, advanced key, pano roof, 20" Rotors, comfort pack plus, tech pack. CF bumper Prot
Hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by RSQ3John RSQ3John wrote:

The vehicle location feature isn't available - I suspect because the Q3 uses the previous generation of in-car tech without the integrated SIM card.   

Have to beg to differ with you there John - if you have Audi Connect and you download the MMI Connect app to your phone, then that app gives you
- car finder
- traffic information
- Audi destination routing
- Contacts (you can access the contacts on your phone and "send" them to the car, so much easier than typing in on a PC)
- access to your calendar (from your phone)

This of course is on my iPhone, and I know you have an Android phone, but you may find similar is available? 
2015-15 (MY2016) RSQ3 Misano/Titanium, Competition Titanium Wheels, Panoramic Sunroof, LED Interior Light Pack, BOSE, Tech Pack, Cruise
RSQ3John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSQ3John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:59pm
Thanks Dave, I get the map feature but it doesn't seem to do a great deal except google map overlays and previous destinations the connect App has sent to the car (includes prior Audis I've owned too) I'll have to have another tinker with it....as I get older I realise we seniors are subject to short term memory loss but so far I've found my way back to the car OK...

Yeah I'm in Android country...
RSQ3, MY2016, Sepang Blue/black styling pack, diamond stitch seats, lunar silver headliner, carbon Atlas inlays, Bose, advanced key, pano roof, 20" Rotors, comfort pack plus, tech pack. CF bumper Prot
aldfort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldfort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Hawkeye Hawkeye wrote:

Have to beg to differ with you there John - if you have Audi Connect and you download the MMI Connect app to your phone, then that app gives you
- car finder
- traffic information
- Contacts (you can access the contacts on your phone and "send" them to the car, so much easier than typing in on a PC)

This of course is on my iPhone, and I know you have an Android phone, but you may find similar is available? 

It is true you can do these things. The Q3 technology is, however, old now and it can't do many of the things that newer Audi's are capable of.
Once you establish and Audi Connect Account you can see the very limited list of functions the current Q3 has compared to newer models.

One general point on the data thing from close to a year of use.

Google Maps are a lot more data hungry to use than the Google traffic data which is both quite good and very light on data usage. 
I'm not sure if once the MMI has a Google map tile it hangs onto it for use on other journeys, probably depends how much memory is available.
Q3 2.0 TFSI Sport Quattro, HDD Nav, Full Leather, Comfort pack, Heated Seats, Reversing Camera.
RSQ3John View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSQ3John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by aldfort aldfort wrote:

Originally posted by Hawkeye Hawkeye wrote:

- car finder
- traffic information

It is true you can do these things. The Q3 technology is, however, old now and it can't do many of the things that newer Audi's are capable of.
Once you establish and Audi Connect Account you can see the very limited list of functions the current Q3 has compared to newer models.

One general point on the data thing from close to a year of use.

Google Maps are a lot more data hungry to use than the Google traffic data which is both quite good and very light on data usage. 
I'm not sure if once the MMI has a Google map tile it hangs onto it for use on other journeys, probably depends how much memory is available.

On the Google map tile - yes, I suspect it does. Every so often Google restarts and I suspect it flushes the data cache and loads new tiles. It's noticeable that the image quality has improved markedly since Audi changed provider contracts (since Connect stopped working globally for a week a few months back).
VSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:59pm
Thanks everyone. Not sure I really need the sat nav upgrade given the cost. I’m sure the standard one will do fine. Out of interest, is there a way to upgrade later should I find the need to, and is the a subscription charge to get the 3G. Sorry if I sound clueless, it’s because I am!
Hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 11:17pm
No. You can go from nothing to the SD card version, but you cannot upgrade from the SD to the HDD Sat Nav.
2015-15 (MY2016) RSQ3 Misano/Titanium, Competition Titanium Wheels, Panoramic Sunroof, LED Interior Light Pack, BOSE, Tech Pack, Cruise
Snapshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snapshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:33am
The SD sat nav really isn't very good. It's slow, often too late, at giving instructions and the MMI screen is low resolution. Make an effort to afford the technology pack and you won't regret it. It's one of the three things I wish I'd added to my car's build spec.
Q3 2.0 TDI 150PS SE Quattro S Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Alcantara/leather in Rock Grey, advanced key, Comfort Pack, Colour DIS, folding mirrors, privacy glass, non-smoking pack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic