FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the new Audi Q3 Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

Register and say hello and hopefully we'll grow into a large bunch of Q3 owners and enthusiasts.

Please post pictures of your Q3 in our Audi Q3 Gallery. You can read all the latest Audi Q3 News on our main website.

iphone connection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GH1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GH1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iphone connection
    Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 10:17am
Hello, I've just bought my first Audi Q3 (2014 SE)

I want to connect my iPhone via the Audi charger in the armrest - hopefully to charge the phone but also play music

There are chargers from Audi (£50) 4 week wait - thats fine, or Amazon have lots at various low prices. My question is does anyone know if they do different things - ie does the more expensive Audi lead allow me to change music from steering wheel or see whats playing on the screen . 

The Amazon leads all say that they charge and play music (but you cant control the music other than from the phone)

I just wondered if the Audi one is giving me something more for the extra expense

thanks for any help
Sponsored Links

Hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:41pm
Assuming you have an iPhone5 (or later), then you'll need the Yellow lead (as per the picture). That's the Audi lead, no idea how good/bad or otherwise the leads from Amazon are.

You can pick up your play lists and music from the phone OK, however at times depending on what Apple do with the iOS updates from time to time they can play up. Personally I've now found it much better to just copy my iTunes music to a 32Gb SD card and insert that card in one of the 2 SD slots by the MMI, I've found you get better sound and response than from the phone. So much so that I now hardly ever connect my phone via the Audi lead (kept forgetting to pick it up from the armrest when I left the car anyway LOL) instead preferring to have my phone connected via Bluetooth for making calls and using the SD card for my music.
2015-15 (MY2016) RSQ3 Misano/Titanium, Competition Titanium Wheels, Panoramic Sunroof, LED Interior Light Pack, BOSE, Tech Pack, Cruise
Hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 12:42pm
And the picture

2015-15 (MY2016) RSQ3 Misano/Titanium, Competition Titanium Wheels, Panoramic Sunroof, LED Interior Light Pack, BOSE, Tech Pack, Cruise
FredW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FredW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:48pm
The new firewire (small) connector, from Audi, is absolutely rubbish and seems not to connect properly. Not sure if it is the cable or poor connectors used by Apple in the phone.
1.4 TFSI COD S line with heated seats, comfort pack, parking plus, auto dimming lights and mirrors.
GH1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GH1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:08pm
Thank you very much for the response

Whats the difference between the white and the yellow tip (I have iPhone 6s) both say for lightening adaptor, how would you know which one to go for?

regards
Hawkeye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:21am
No idea on the difference, I've always been told the yellow connector (and that's what my dealer told me), have used it on my IPhone 5/6/7.

So I'd say you needed the yellow adaptor personally.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic