FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the new Audi Q3 Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

Register and say hello and hopefully we'll grow into a large bunch of Q3 owners and enthusiasts.

Please post pictures of your Q3 in our Audi Q3 Gallery. You can read all the latest Audi Q3 News on our main website.

How to: Modify Q5 rack to fit Q3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bowman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to: Modify Q5 rack to fit Q3
    Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 7:51pm
If like me, having spent all your beer tokens on the car / are a tight git (delete as appropriate) and need a roof rack - this seems to be a cheap solution without compromising on safety.

If you look on the usual auction/collection sites, you should be able to lay your hands on a brand new unwanted Q5 rack for only a few tokens.  There seems to be a surplus of these as I understand they come free with a Q5.

Tools wise you will need:
  • Drill and bits
  • Angle grinder
  • 5mm allen/hex key
  • tape measure/ruler
  • pencil
  • knife (to cut rubber strip)
  • optional extra - label machine to mark up each foot.

Points to note:
  • the rails on the Q3 are not parallel
  • one roof bar is shorter than the other!
  • you are going to need to remove the foot with the 3 pegs on it, remove 2 of the 3 pegs, and shorten the bar by 10cm, drill and refit the foot.
  • It appears that the integrity of the foot is largely maintained by the grip around the outside of the car rail, so the pin is more of a guide to line everything up and even with only 1 pin doing the job its not going to fail.  If you wish you can add in a new pin if you feel such inclined, but it will take some precision drilling and lining up of a new pin.

The first task is easy as the shorter rack which is the Q5 rearmost rack will fit straight on the front of the Q3.  The only thing that you will need to do is slacken off and re-tighten the 2x hex bolts holding each foot to the rail to allow everything to line up with the rails and fit snugly.  All the holes in the bars and the feet are elongated to allow this adjustment.

Next you need to do some extreme moding!

As you will know - there are 2 pins on your Q3 to receive the rack/foot.  You will need to make it look like the top one in the pic here.

FYI, if you want the measurements - here you go

The foot comes to pieces very easily - just remove the 2x hex bolts from the top of the rail and it will all fall off in your hands.  The plastic casing is held together with friction and there doesn't appear to be any clips holding it as it is held together when bolted on the bar.

As you will see, the bolts go through one bracket to another to spread the load.  This is bit fiddly to get back together, so note which way up everything is as you take them out.

Now break out the angle grinder/massacre tool and grind off the 2 pins that are closer together.

As you will see, i slipped and caught the pin that i needed to leave behind.

As i took off a little of the plastic coating, I wrapped a bit of electricians tape around the bracket and cut out the tape around the pin so that i had a plastic coated finish to touch the car rail. (No pic).
Re-assemble the foot without the plastic casing and fit it to the car (do not fit to the bar yet).

Now fit the Bar which still has the other foot to the other side of the car and rest it on your newly farkled foot.  This will allow you to mark the roof bar to see where you need to cut.  In these pics the bar is just resting on the foot and is not attached.

Here is mine all marked up and ready for cutting and drilling

As you can see i needed to take 10cm off.

Take care with re drilling the holes as these need to be dead center to fit in the groove on the top of the rail.  Whilst i did miss a little, my error was quickly covered up when I later fitted the rubber on the bar.

Remember you will need to cut the roof bar at the same angle so that the plastic end fits on.
Then all you need to do is re-assemble the foot and casing and fit to the bar.

I found that i needed to release the hex bolts again to get the feet to sit tightly against the car rails.  Then I just tightened these up, got the label machine out to make sure that I fit everything the same way around.  That way I shouldn't need to adjust them again.

Now all you need to do is remove your newly fitted bars and install the rubber into the groove of them.  I found that I needed to take them inside and warm everything (including me) and rub a bit of washing up liquid on the rail to get the rubber to fit properly.

Job done.

2016 2.0TDi Quattro 150 S-Tronic, S-line Plus, inc:towbar, bendy mirrors, reversing camera, heated seats & internal LEDs
Sponsored Links

Boxbrownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxbrownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 8:07pm
Excellent write up, definitely needs to be a sticky.
177 SE S-Tronic, Pistachio Nappa, Tech Pack, Keyless, Luggage, Load, 18" 5xTwins, Hot Seats, Bright Bendy Lights, Wobbly Mirrors, LazyBoy Rear Hatch, it has now gone, well it had to sooner or later.
Gromit View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gromit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 9:14pm
Agreed and done.

Q3 SE TFSI 170bhp S-Tronic, Cobalt Blue/Titanium Grey interior, SD SAT/NAV, Power folding mirrors, Parking Plus+Park Assist, LED & storage packages, seated heats & other goodies. Collected 27/06/13.
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 6:21pm
Hi, its my first post so excuse me if its not too correct. I recently bought a 63 plate Q3 and its amazing. I enquired into the price of audi q3 roof bars but didn't want to remortgage my house!!. So I Bought a brand new pair of q5 ones for the princely sum of £9 and then followed the details instructions. I didn't have an angle grinder but a hacksaw and a file completed the job. I now have a pair of roofbars with the audi bag for £9, plus £15 fuel and 2hrs of "manual labour". Thanks for the brilliant instructions and it is not as hard as people might think.
Give it a go and save some money
spike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 6:57pm
For anyone who keeps the bars permanently on the car and has a problem with wind noise (from them), I spotted this 'fix' on the Q5 forum - http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-discussion-129/resolved-audi-q5-crossbar-wind-noise-2828463/

Cheers  Spike
2012 Silver SE TDi 177 S-Tronic. Pan Roof, Comfort Pack, Sports cloth seats, Xenon Light Pack, SD Sat Nav, Hill Hold, Spacesaver Spare
RichardE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 12:59pm
Q5 bars now seem to come with the ribbed Thule type strip as standard - well,. the secondhand set I bought did, they were for a 63 plate Q5. And it certainly seems to work.

The modding was straight forward and I now have a set of bars to fit my Q3 and to fit my light bar and aerials to for motorsport safety radio duties! It did occur to me that a pair of the shorter Q5 bars would be even easier if a little bit more costly.
2013SE 7 speed Stronic. Sat Nav, Hillhold, manual towbar, Colour DIS, Electric seats, leather, TPMS, reversing camera, Cruise Control, LED interior lights. Coded LED taillights & mirrors fold on lock.
bomtekfred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomtekfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:34pm
Does the OP or anyone else still have the photos of this modification?  I'm hoping to do this same mod this week, but the pic links are broken.  Thanks in advance! 
Bowman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 3:04pm
i still have them...i will pop them up when i get a minute.....i think photobucket have blocked links to forums

If a mod can unlock my original post to allow me to edit it I will add pics from another source.
2016 2.0TDi Quattro 150 S-Tronic, S-line Plus, inc:towbar, bendy mirrors, reversing camera, heated seats & internal LEDs
Snapshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snapshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 2:49pm
The pics still work here but I couldn't scroll through them so had to load each one separately.
Q3 2.0 TDI 150PS SE Quattro S Tronic, Monsoon Grey, Alcantara/leather in Rock Grey, advanced key, Comfort Pack, Colour DIS, folding mirrors, privacy glass, non-smoking pack
bomtekfred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bomtekfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 3:43pm
Awesome! Thanks for your help with this!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic