FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the new Audi Q3 Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

Register and say hello and hopefully we'll grow into a large bunch of Q3 owners and enthusiasts.

Please post pictures of your Q3 in our Audi Q3 Gallery. You can read all the latest Audi Q3 News on our main website.

Help & advice please, possible ecu failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ishbel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help & advice please, possible ecu failure
    Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:17am
Newbie here so please be gentle!

Used to have an A3 loved it until emissions update and egr failure. Bit the bullet and got rid of it and bought a Q3 without the emissions update. Been happily driving it for about 6 months until 2 nights ago. Went to start car and up flashed "stabilisation esc error" then "parking error" followed by "headlight control error" (or words to that effect) and car wouldn't start. Took key out and tried again and off it went fine. Finished work yesterday and same again, but this time car wouldn't start at all. Tried it half a dozen times over half an hour and nothing, had to be recovered to local garage. This morning garage told me that taking it off loader and car started by itself without the key being in it. Mechanic says all diagnostics are pointing to ecu failure, although car is starting perfectly every time at the moment. Nearest audi is 120 miles away. Anyone any thoughts and ideas of cost if it needs ecu replaced. Car just turned 4 years old so naturally out of warranty.
Sponsored Links

grumpycamel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grumpycamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:17am
ECU failure on the Q3 is very rare ad Ive not heard of any on this forum. If the fault is the ECU and the car has a Audi service history then there may be a chance of a goodwill contribution from Audi. I would not expect the ECU to fail on a 4 year old car. The problem is is that you have to get it to an Audi dealer for diagnosis first.
Pre-FL Audi Q3 S-Line 2.0TDI (177) Quattro S-Tronic,Cobalt Blue,Nappa leather,Heated seats,MMI HD Nav,Colour DIS, Bluetooth,CD Changer,Xenon lights,Spare tyre (on my body and in the car)
Ishbel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 11:36am
Thanks GrumpyCamel, Im kind of hoping its something else, could seriously live without big spends at garage at the moment. Waiting to hear back from garage, but if it keeps starting fine just now then I might just have to keep going with it until it no doubt happens again.
Ishbel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 11:18am
Just to update. Error messages all currently off and car starting with no issues. Just took it home and keeping my fingers crossed that there's no return of the dreaded messages
grumpycamel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote grumpycamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:47pm
Fingers crossed. It may just been having a mardy moment. Smile
Pre-FL Audi Q3 S-Line 2.0TDI (177) Quattro S-Tronic,Cobalt Blue,Nappa leather,Heated seats,MMI HD Nav,Colour DIS, Bluetooth,CD Changer,Xenon lights,Spare tyre (on my body and in the car)
Ishbel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ishbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 9:33pm
just to update. It happened again last week, non start with the warning lights & messages so breakdown took it off to audi for me. End result was a broken wire between the ecu and the fusebox/ £250 for repair and back on the road again. Interestingly I'd noticed my stop/start hadn't been working prior to the messages and it's back working properly again.
spike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:46pm
Thanks for taking the time to let us know how the problem was fixed.

Cheers  Spike
2012 Silver SE TDi 177 S-Tronic. Pan Roof, Comfort Pack, Sports cloth seats, Xenon Light Pack, SD Sat Nav, Hill Hold, Spacesaver Spare
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic