FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the new Audi Q3 Forum! It's free to join - just click Register to join.

Register and say hello and hopefully we'll grow into a large bunch of Q3 owners and enthusiasts.

Please post pictures of your Q3 in our Audi Q3 Gallery. You can read all the latest Audi Q3 News on our main website.

Brake judder and creaking suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
harry2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake judder and creaking suspension
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 11:30pm
Has anyone experienced warped discs or brake judder in their Q3's?

Ours has developed quite bad judder, seems worse sometimes than others, it feels like it's from the rear and the OSR disc is quite badly scored, I'm wondering if the rear calipers is seizing slightly.

Also we get a creaking from the front suspension going over speed bumps, anyone else had this?

It's a 2016 2.0tdi 150 Quattro, we've owned from new and was serviced 6wks or so ago by Audi, strangely the brake issue started after they serviced it...

It's under warranty but I'm so fed up of Audis couldn't give a s##t attitude, I'd like to be forearmed before I take it back. If it's just warped discs, no way am I paying Audi prices when I can do it myself for a fraction of the cost!
Sponsored Links

WestyRSQ3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestyRSQ3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:25am
My RSQ3 has suddenly developed vibration through the steering wheel when braking from motorway speeds. Had all four wheels balanced and swapped back to front just in case but no change.
Booking it into the dealers. Let's see what they have to say.
Second brake issue in six months...
harry2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:21pm
Ours is through the brake pedal rather than the steering wheel which is why I think it's the rear brakes.
oakey46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oakey46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:20pm
Also we get a creaking from the front suspension going over speed bumps, anyone else had this?

You could try spraying the lower suspension arm joint rubber bush, where it meets the subframe (i.e.looking inwards from the wheel. I no longer have the Q3 from end 3/18, so can't send a pic, but it worked when I had a similar creak over speed bumps on my Q3 (not long before I exchanged it for an X1) and a previous A3 (dealer replaced the bush on the A3, but the creak fairly quickly returned). Spray either side of the bush, which you can see by turning the front wheels - sorry, I can't remember which way, so try either and you won't need to get under the car. NOTE - ONLY use a silicone lubricant spray as a standard oil based spray can cause the rubber in the bush to degrade and be sure to keep any lubricant spray well clear of the brake system.
This link may help (its part 2 on the illustration and fits into part 3)

Q3 1.4TFSI COD, SE S-Tronic (no longer owned)
Biggles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 8:35pm
I had brake judder on my Q3 which I was convinced was caused by warped discs. I couldn't feel it through the steering wheel, only through my bum, so blamed it on the rear discs. This was in January this year on a September 2015 car (2016 MY) so still under warranty and only 3 months after a service. It turned out to be severely corroded rear discs, corrosion on the inner faces only. "Corrosion is not a warranty item Sir" so wallet drained of £372!. Problem solved. The new discs were sourced from the nearby VW dealership (Marshalls Group). A bit of Googling and one soon learns that such corrosion is fairly commonplace in VAG cars, and others, as the environment of the inner disc surface is tougher than the better ventilated outside. Still works out at £165 a year for what might be considered a manufacturing/design/material fault. Progress 😤
Audi Q3 SE 1.4 TFSI CoD 150 PS S-Tronic 5dr, Monsoon Grey, SD Sat Nav, Parking system plus. Sept 2015, MY 2016.
PhatGit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhatGit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:59am
And they didn’t pick this up at the service? I’d be having words
harry2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 11:54am
I'll change the discs & pads myself if they sat that, no way am I paying Audi prices, I can get a set of rear discs and pads from Euro for about £80!

It's booked in for the 29th May so we'll see what they say then.

I have to be honest I don't think I'd buy another Audi based on their service so far.
mickscull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickscull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by harry2012 harry2012 wrote:

I'll change the discs & pads myself if they sat that, no way am I paying Audi prices, I can get a set of rear discs and pads from Euro for about £80!

It's booked in for the 29th May so we'll see what they say then.

I have to be honest I don't think I'd buy another Audi based on their service so far.

Alas, a disc and pad change is not like it used to be in the good old days. Have a look at this post, 3rd post in from "spike". You may want to reconsider!

Q3 2.0 TDi Sline plus Quattro Stronic with Tech pack, Comfort pack, Power folding mirrors, Nappa leather heated seats, Panoramic sunroof, Audi exclusive Racing Mica Blue paint finish.
harry2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 2:20pm
I have VCDS so can release the handbrake on it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic